Canoers, kayakers enjoy rough river

7.19.13.news.doc
7.19.13.news.doc

"In the summer, it's usually really low and not really fun for anyone," he said. "Bringing water levels up to spring levels means that routes usually run by heavily involved kayakers in the spring when the water is colder are now able to take beginners on in the summer."

This summer, Ledyard and the Dartmouth Outing Club have seen participation increases for members and non-members, DOC treasurer Hunter van Adelsberg '15 said.

"I've noticed that a lot people, given the fact that it's the summer and a cool time to be outside, decide to come to meetings and check it out," van Adelsberg said.

Though there are few year-round members on campus in comparison to other terms, Ledyard sends out the most kayaking trips over the summer. Students dominate weekday rentals, while local families rent kayaks over the weekend, Koeppel said.

Ledyard ensures that all customers have life jackets accessible on their watercraft, following area safety rental protocol.

"We're telling people when they go out that it's always a better idea to go upstream if you're not experienced," Koeppel said. "That way you won't go downstream and then be too tired to come back up."

Rain and strong currents have caused a number of river fatalities this summer, with six confirmed drownings in state waterways since the July Fourth weekend, the Union Leader reported.

There have not been any incidents at Ledyard so far, Koeppel said.

"We're being cautious of all sorts of river dangers, such as rocks and downed trees, and we have a strict leader policy," he said.

Ernest Amoh, the brother of Justice Amoh '13, drowned on June 12 in the Connecticut River. The 20-year-old jumped from a rope swing, and witnesses said he did not know how to swim. Deep water and a strong current prevented students from rescuing him.

The DOC has worked to unite its members and plan inter-club trips this term, including a joint Mountaineering Club and Ledyard trip to Acadia National Park, van Adelsberg said.

Members have also organized campus events such as s'mores gatherings on Friday nights, Cabin and Trail co-chair Patrick Campbell '15 said.

Cabin and Trail has cancelled recent hiking trips due to thunderstorms, but most will continue as planned unless conditions are extreme.

"I always like to say, Bad weather makes for better stories,'" Campbell said. "We can still have a great time."

Van Adelsberg is a former member of The Dartmouth staff.