Daily Debriefing

A Princeton University student was hospitalized with symptoms of bacterial meningitis on Monday, the fourth case linked to the university in two months, The Daily Princetonian reported. The New Jersey State Department of Health officially designated the four cases as an outbreak. Princeton notified students of the recent hospitalization through campus email and text message alerts on Monday. The student developed symptoms while traveling home, Princeton spokesman Martin Mbunga said. Princeton is not planning to alter its response to the outbreak and will continue to post information about meningitis in bathrooms and dining halls. Visitors at next week's reunions events will receive hygiene information about the disease. While Princeton students are required to be vaccinated for meningitis, the mandatory inoculation does not protect against the strain of meningitis contracted by the students. The three previous cases have all made full recoveries.

A recent study by researchers at the Federal Reserve Bank of New York found that graduates have jobs that require a college education. Graduates who look for work in big cities, such as New York City, are more likely to find a job that requires a college degree or is related to their major. In some cases, the likelihood of finding a job that requires a degree increased by up to 6 percent in major metropolitan areas over smaller cities. Living in a city can help graduates find jobs that best fit their skill sets and qualifications, the researchers argued.

A Harvard Medical School study found that college-age women tend to binge-drink more than their male counterparts, Metro reported. On average, women exceeded the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism's recommended drink limit of three drinks in a day and seven in a week an average of eight weeks a year. The average man, however, exceeded the limit only six weeks a year. The study's authors said exceeding weekly drink limits can lead to alcohol-related diseases, including liver trouble and breast cancer. The authors recommended that women stick to the suggested weekly drink limit to reduce their risk. The study surveyed 992 freshmen in college who completed biweekly surveys on their drinking habits.