Rotunda displays student art

4.15.13.arts.rotunda
4.15.13.arts.rotunda

"I think it is great when student work is on display," said Michelle Berlinger '13, whose jewelry is included in the exhibition. "It is a good opportunity for students to share their passion with the Dartmouth community, to publicize the arts and to create dialogue about style, art, creation and personal identity."

Coordinator and ceramics professor Jennifer Swanson, woodshop manager Greg Elder and jewelry instructor Jeff Georgantes select the art from individual projects produced in their workshops. No substantial experience is necessary for a student to be featured, and several of the pieces in the rotunda were created by beginner artists.

"The pieces for display are not particularly made for exhibition, rather the students make work for their own needs and pleasure," Swanson said. "We hope that students will see and be inspired by the work in the rotunda and will then come to one or more of the workshops to make their own pieces."

Berlinger, a senior fellow, created a necklace, rings and earrings for the exhibition and is currently completing a project that combines her love of jewelry making with women's and gender studies. She seeks to explore feminism in the jewelry industry and is designing a line of wearable art meant to empower women. Berlinger considers her creative process an organic one, and said many of her pieces come to life based on the materials she uses.

"If I am particularly intrigued by a certain metal or stone, I will usually stare at it for a while, imagine it on me and then make exactly what I pictured," Berlinger said.

Elizabeth Nunley '14, who created pottery for the display, echoed Berlinger's sentiments as they apply to ceramics.

"Something I learned along the way is that the creative process is extremely malleable," Nunley said. "What you might have originally imagined for your work is completely separate from the final product, because the clay takes a life of its own and shapes your imagination."

Nunley and Paola Ortega GR '14 both made clay pots inspired by Dave the Potter, a black potter and poet who worked while enslaved in South Carolina during the 19th century.

Nunley studied Dave in an English class and said her piece is an example of how cross-listed classes can help students investigate new interests.

Through her work, Ortega said she was able to appreciate the kind dedication, strength and skill that Dave employed while creating objects out of natural clay.

Ortega's experience making her jar "molded me into a more patient, detailed and devoted person," she said.

The jar possesses a spiritual significance for Ortega, who inscribed a Bible passage about creation on the side of her piece.

"I hope that putting my piece on display [will] serve a twofold purpose: to invite viewers to think about history, and by the inscription, to invite viewers to consider the parallels between shaping a jar and how we are shaped' by life and circumstances regardless of religious convictions," she said.

Avishek Shrestha '14, a woodworking student, created a stool as part of an architecture class this past winter.

After completing multiple sketches and models, he said he decided to make a stool that "incorporated curves in a minimalist way."

Lorin Paley '15 created a spalted maple bowl on the lathe for the student exhibition.

She said she is eager to continue developing her interest in woodworking and is excited about having her work on display at such an early stage in her artistic career.

"No one should miss the opportunity the Hop gives us as students," Paley said. "When again are we going to have amazing teachers, mentors and state of the art equipment at our fingertips? The things that I learned in the shop are things that I know I am going to have all of my life."