Beyond the Bubble: Stand-out Honors

This week has been marked by stand-out honors recognizing inspiring artists across all genres.

Last Monday, violinist and composer Caroline Shaw was walking through Hudson River Park in New York City when she was bombarded by emails and calls from friends congratulating her for winning the Pulitzer Prize in music. Shaw won the renowned award for "Partita for 8 Voices," an a cappella piece she wrote for the debut recording of her group Roomful of Teeth. Shaw is the youngest recipient of the prize in over 50 years.

In the world of wearable art, Reed Krakoff, president and executive creative director of Coach, was the recipient of the Whitney Museum American Art Award last Wednesday. The award is given each year to those who have shown a commitment to the artistic and cultural heritage of the arts. Krakoff is known for his collections of structured bags and sporty, cleanly designed couture pieces.

On Thursday, the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inducted Canadian rock band Rush, acclaimed music producer Quincy Jones, singers Randy Newman and Donna Summer and rap group Public Enemy in downtown Los Angeles' Nokia Theater. The star-studded event featured performances by the inductees as well as Jennifer Hudson and John Mayer. The ceremony saw lighthearted moments, such as when Public Enemy's Chuck D gave his bandmate Flavor Flav "wrap-it-up" signals, to which Flav replied, "I only get to be in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame one time in my life...I'm enjoying this."