New alcohol policies not expected to impact celebrations

10.26.12.mirror.alcoholpolicy.
10.26.12.mirror.alcoholpolicy.

Though the College's updated alcohol policy increases the administration's scope in monitoring campus parties, fraternity members said that the new protocol has not frustrated their plans for Homecoming weekend.

The administration, led by Dean of the College Charlotte Johnson, initiated a review of the alcohol policies in the spring. The revision process continued throughout the summer and involved both administrators and students.

Changes to the policy include allowing Safety and Security to conduct random walkthroughs of fraternities and enacting harsher punishment for houses caught serving pre-made batch drinks, also known as punch.

Reactions to the new policies have been mixed. Many students initially said they were worried that the changes would fundamentally and adversely affect social events. Students expressed particular concern over the timing of the revisions, as the majority of students were not on campus this summer when the proposed changes were announced and were therefore unable to contribute their input.

However, students have not expressed serious frustration or resentment toward the policy since its implementation on Sept. 21.

Greek letter organizations have not experienced trouble registering their Homecoming activities, according to several presidents and social chairs.

"We've already registered our parties, and there weren't really any hurdles," social chair of Theta Delta Chi fraternity Corey Vann '13 said. "It was easy to get it was pretty awesome."

Most houses have not significantly altered their plans from past years, Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity social chair Cole Adams '13 said.

Many people are surprised at the lack of disturbance caused by the new alcohol policies.

"I would have thought the policy would have a big impact on the parties over Homecoming," Kayla Kesslen '15 said.

Other students said they were unaware of what the changes entailed and could not cite specific aspects of the policy that upset them.

"I don't know the specifics, but I guess people seem pretty unhappy," Amanda Cahoy '14 said.

Bones Gate fraternity and Kappa Kappa Gamma sorority declined to comment on the alcohol policies.

Safety and Security and Dean Johnson were unavailable for comment by press time.

Vann is a member of The Dartmouth Staff.