Adelabu '15 tallies three more goals

The Dartmouth men's soccer team earned a split at the New Mexico Tournament over the weekend.

Adelabu has scored five of the nine total Dartmouth goals so far this season, none more important than the overtime game-winner he scored in the 106th minute of the contest against Missouri State (4-1-3). Adelabu ripped a shot from inside the box off of an assist from Colin Heffron '15.

"It was a back-and-forth game," co-captain Kevin Dzierzawski '13 said. "We dominated the first half in terms of possession and goal opportunities. The second half was a little bit shaky, but in our minds, it was just a matter of time before we got a goal."

The Big Green held the advantage throughout the game, outshooting the Bears, 14-7. Dartmouth goalkeeper Sean Donovan '13 did not have an official save in the shutout.

"The biggest takeaway from this weekend was how much everybody from the starters to the role players contributed in our games," co-captain Teo Larsson-Sax '13 said. "We are a very deep team, and that will be a big advantage when we begin Ivy League play."

Dartmouth played an exciting game against the seventh-ranked New Mexico team on Friday. Playing the Lobos on their home field, the Big Green was unable to take advantage of two leads early in the first half, eventually falling on a goal in the 66th minute. An initial save by Dartmouth goalkeeper Noah Cohen '14 was rebounded and drilled into the net by the Lobos' Ben McKendry to give New Mexico the eventual game winner.

The contest started with a flurry of goals for both sides, with sophomore Adelabu striking first blood for the Big Green less than two minutes into the game. New Mexico's Devon Sandoval equalized for the Lobos just over a minute later, before goals from Adelabu and Lobos midfielder Michael Calderon tied the game at two less than 18 minutes in.

"It was a good step forward," Dzierzawski said. "We went up at two different occasions during the game. They don't get scored on very often at home, so that was big."

The goal by McKendry came minutes after Gabe Hoffman-Johnson '14 almost put the Big Green ahead on a shot off of a throw-in that landed just wide of the net. Robin Alnas '15 had a chance for a late equalizer for Dartmouth, but his shot was deflected out of bounds, securing the win for New Mexico.

"I think our management of the game after getting leads was poor and something that we need to improve on, but New Mexico is a great team, a championship competitor," Dzierzawski said.

It was an action-packed 90 minutes for the 4,000 spectators who came to watch two top collegiate soccer teams battle on the field. The Big Green managed just eight shots in the game compared to the 20 shots delivered by its opponents.

"I think there are a lot of important things we can learn from the game against New Mexico," Larsson-Sax said. "I think if we paid a little more attention to detail, the result could have been better for us."

Big Green keeper Cohen recorded five saves, including a point-blank block of Blake Smith's shot just before halftime to keep the game tied at 2-2. Dzierzawski added two shots on goal but was unable to find the back of the net.

"[Cohen] played exceptionally well, maybe the best game I've seen him play," Dzierzawski said. "The game report said five saves, but he probably made closer to 15. He was phenomenal."

Dartmouth will be returning to New England this week to play the University of Massachusetts in Amherst, Mass., on Saturday, Sept. 22. The Big Green the defending Ivy League champions will open up conference play at Princeton University the following Saturday.

"Hopefully we can use the momentum from this weekend to get a win next week and get into a good position as we begin Ivy League play," Dzierzawski said.