What Not to Wear: A Recruiting Style Guide

Resume? Check. Killer cover letter? Check. Appropriate schmoozing at pre-interview info session? Check.

Playing the corporate recruiting game involves the right combination of tact, charm and finesse. You've made it this far, so be sure to direct the same care to your appearance.

Hanover can be a tough place to look sharp, but follow our advice and maybe you'll beat out the kid in the Career Services waiting room who's also trying to get that coveted Bridgewater spot. Here's a style guide for guys and girls.

The biggest challenge for most Dartmouth students, regardless of gender, will be abandoning the overwhelming sloppiness they've adopted this summer and attempting to appear somewhat presentable.

Don't apply this to any other aspect of 12X, but the main rule for interview style is that you cannot go wrong by being boring and conventional! Recruiters don't care about your ability to keep up with the latest trends. There are only three colors for recruiting season white, navy and black.

For girls, this means trading in your Rainbows and jean cutoffs for pantyhose and that sensible pencil skirt your mother bought you. This is not the time to experiment with necklines or skirt lengths. If you look like a grandma, you're doing it right.

Speaking of ignoring fashion, be sure to avoid trendy high heels. Buy a respectable-looking pair of low heels or borrow some from a friend. While the chance to wear heels doesn't come around too often up here, don't get out of control. Formal is coming up save your sky-high stilettos for the DOC House.For guys, even the most conservative suits can't conceal your favorite lucky pinnie, so please opt for a more traditional undershirt.

Pick a solid colored shirt, a dark suit and a conservative tie. It's sweet that your grandma bought you a tie with ducks on it last Christmas, but your new friends at Oliver Wyman are sure to ding you if you show up wearing that thing. Also watch out for your socks and shoes dark dress socks and black leather shoes are a safe bet.

Once you've carefully selected the perfect outfit, the key to a successful first impression is maintaining this appearance of professionalism until your interview.

While Dartmouth students generally love waking up and throwing on questionably clean clothes before class, you should really pay more attention to your appearance before an interview.

Let's talk about grooming. There's only one manicure place in this town, and based on my personal experience, it's overpriced and mediocre at best. You're probably better off doing your nails yourself, but don't underestimate the importance of a nice manicure.

Guys, at least cut your nails today. You want the boys at Morgan Stanley to envision you as a clean and well-put-together person even if you can't remember last weekend and spend many of your waking hours hungover. You've managed to fool them this far, so keep it up.

This also applies to your hair. Girls, make sure it's clean and take the time to blow it out. Guys, get a haircut. Making Waves or the barbershop near 3 Guys Basement Barbecue do a solid job. Instead of playing that extra game of FIFA, take a half-hour out of your day and smarten up. Most interviews also conveniently bookend parent's weekend, and you can trick your parents into believing you have great personal hygiene. It's a win-win for everyone involved.

Although it seems obvious, you should probably shower close to the time of your interview, avoid excessive jewelry and make sure your outfit looks as clean and fresh as possible. Looking your best will give you the confidence to perform your best.

And above all, please don't show up to an interview hungover it will probably still show no matter how sharply you are dressed. And the interviewer will not accept your apology for partying.