Recent graduate who died on Thursday identified as Stephanie Pignatiello '12

The recent graduate who died unexpectedly in Hanover on Thursday has been identified as Stephanie Pignatiello '12, according to a campus-wide email sent by interim President Carol Folt and Dean of the College Charlotte Johnson. Pignatiello died suddenly in her off-campus house. Authorities are not treating her death as suspicious.

Pignatiello majored in linguistics and psychology and minored in Asian and Middle Eastern languages and literature with a focus on Chinese. She was a Neukom Scholar during the 2011-2012 school year and graduated in June.

"There are no words to describe this kind of tragedy," the message said. "We ask you to please join us in keeping Stephanie's parents, family and friends foremost in your thoughts in the days ahead."

Hanover Police Chief Nicholas Giaccone said that the Hanover Police Department will not release more information about Pignatiello's death until early next week.

Dartmouth administrators and staff contacted students who were identified as Pignatiello's close friends in order to offer support on Thursday. The College did not release Pignatiello's identity until her family had been notified.

The Counseling and Human Development Department will be open 1-4 p.m. on Saturday and Sunday, and Johnson and Folt encouraged students to reach out to a counselor or chaplain if they wish to speak to someone.

"On behalf of the entire Dartmouth community, we want to express our heartfelt condolences to Stephanie's family and the many friends who knew and loved her here at Dartmouth," Folt and Johnson said in the message.