June 15, 2024 | Latest Issue

Now Playing in Hanover: Chimpanzee

"Chimpanzee," the sixth film released by Disneynature, the distributors of "Earth" (2007), is a nature documentary that follows the life of a baby chimpanzee that must learn to survive without his mother in the African jungle. The baby chimpanzee, dubbed Oscar, is narrated by Tim Allen. Oscar's mother dies due to injuries most likely caused by a leopard, and the baby chimpanzee must learn to develop the necessary skills to survive in her absence. Oscar is eventually adopted by Freddy, the tough leader of the chimpanzee group, but their bond and the entire group of chimpanzees are threatened by vicious attacks from rival gangs of neighboring chimpanzees. Katie Tai

Directed by: Alastair Fothergill and Mark LinfieldWith: Tim Allen78 minutesRated G

If you're looking to watch terrific footage of an adorable baby chimp and his compatriots, then "Chimpanzee" will be a satisfying adventure. Beyond that, Allen's incessant droning that passes for narration will only irritate you endlessly, and you will probably be left wondering why the filmmakers gave a superficial, padded snapshot of chimp life.
Kate Sullivan

Chimpanzee features breathtaking footage and offers some enlightening insights into a species with which we share so much. The young protagonist Oscar is charming, and the documentary's images speak louder than Allen's corny and cartoonish narration. It is easy to be lulled into thinking that the animals were directed, but all of the wilderness footage is authentic, and so are the relationships that blossom. Jackie Wei

Disneynature once again delivers a film lush with visual splendor. Nature may have provided Disney with a perfect plot complete with sorrow, violence and a cathartic resolution, but Disney reduces the chimpanzee's story to a simplistic ordeal of good versus evil, which unfortunately omits the intricacy of the web of danger and interdependency that defines wildlife. Katie Tai