SAE sentenced to three-term probation

Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity has been sentenced to a three-term probationary period in addition to "an extensive series of educational requirements" for alleged hazing violations, according to a campus-wide email from Associate Dean of Campus Life April Thompson.

"The Organizational Adjudication Committee (OAC) panel found SAE responsible for engaging in hazing and disorderly conduct in 2009 and for providing alcohol to underage students in 2009 and 2011," Thompson said.

In her email, Thompson wrote that SAE admitted to specific acts in 2009 that constitute hazing, including driving blindfolded students off campus and having pledges enter a "splash pool filled with food." The OAC, a panel composed of "students, faculty and staff," however, did not find substantial proof of all of the accused violations.

"The OAC did not find a preponderance of evidence that SAE engaged in the most egregious of the allegations detailed in the report and did not find a preponderance of evidence that SAE hazed new members in 2011," Thompson said in the email.

Per the sanction, SAE must adopt a new member education plan approved by Greek Letter Organizations and Societies Director Wes Schaub, establish a new alcohol management plan and participate in "campus-wide educational programming," according to the email.

"Should SAE fail to meet these expectations within the time frames established within the time frames established, or if any further violations occur, SAE could be suspended or have its recognition revoked," Thompson said.

Although the Undergraduate Judicial Affairs Office had previously dropped charges against 27 individual members of SAE on March 30, the organizational charges against the fraternity were outstanding.

Former SAE member Andrew Lohse '12 leveled the initial hazing accusations against SAE in a Jan. 25 opinion column published in The Dartmouth.