Daily Debriefing

Yale University imposed stricter tailgating regulations on Thursday following a death at a tailgating event last year, the Yale Daily News reported Friday. The Nov. 19 death of Nancy Barry at a Harvard-Yale tailgate prompted the additional rules. As a result of the new restrictions, kegs and box trucks such as U-Hauls have been banned from all tailgating events. Yale also now prohibits vehicles in the tailgating zone and will ensure that the tailgating area be cleared by the start of the game, the Daily News reported. A U-Haul truck delivering kegs to a fraternity tailgate struck a group of people and killed Barry and hurt two others. According to Yale College Dean Mary Miller, the committee that issued the new rules was influenced by similar regulations already in place at other institutions, according to the Daily News. Yale also plans to discuss tailgating policies with the National Center for Spectator Sports Safety and Security and to more extensively review tailgating procedures, according to the Daily News.

The Dartmouth Aires recently recorded a song to be released in a United Nations Development Program video raising awareness about an ongoing famine in the Horn of Africa, the San Francisco Chronicle reported Saturday. Following an intense drought, 13 million people living in the Horn of Africa are currently suffering the most destructive food shortage in 20 years, and the UNDP is seeking to aid the devastated communities as well as increase awareness of the famine, according to the Chronicle. As part of this effort, The Aires recorded a rendition of "Calling My Children Home" as well as a public service message on Jan. 7 to be used by the UNDP. According to Aires Business Manager Ethan Weinberg '12, the Aires hoped to use the broader fan base they obtained after competing as finalists on NBC's "The Sing-Off" to support a worthy cause, the Chronicle reported.

The Harvard University Library system will work toward reducing the size of its library staff, The Harvard Crimson reported Saturday. According to Harvard University Library executive director Helen Shenton, the endeavor is part of a general restructuring effort the library system is undertaking, and both voluntary and involuntary means of reducing staff size are currently under consideration, The Crimson reported. According to University Librarian Robert Darnton, the money saved on cutting staff will be used to improve the library overall, according to The Crimson. Some library employees believe that mass firings will take place, while others worry that current staff will have to reapply for the positions they hold, The Crimson reported.