Reboot and Rally

Hello, Dartmouth: welcome back to another excellent term at the College on the Hill. Now that I'm a senior, I feel that I am finally qualified to predict trends in campus behavior, in addition to trends in all things techy. I've been here long enough to know that the weather will still suck in the Fall, the lines at every dining hall will always be longer than they should be and every blitzed-out-about party will be way too crowded. I am also pretty sure about a few upcoming technology trends on campus and I'm happy to share my predictions.

1. Bros will spend a huge part of their time gaming.

Gamers, rejoice (and not-so-Halo-savvy ladies, skip to the next projection). Most high-profile games debut in the fall of each year, and 2011 is no exception. As an avid gamer, I'm excited to get my hands on all of the sought-after releases slated for this fall. Because most of the popular releases are sequels to great games, the hype surrounding these titles is astronomical.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 will keep gamers glued to their chairs for hours when it is released on Nov. 8 with its exhilarating online play. The vehicle-centric combat of Battlefield 3 (Oct. 25), however, may convert a few COD loyalists to its following simply because it's cool to blow stuff up with tanks and fighter planes.

The recently launched Gears of War 3 and Resistance 3 provide great endings for two incredible game franchises. Although I believe Gears of War 3 is the better game, Resistance 3 provides an incredibly unique experience. Players can use the PlayStation Move motion-controller to mimic the actions of a real gun.

If you are not a fan of shooters, FIFA 12 the latest iteration of the best-selling soccer game releases next week. FIFA has recently surpassed the Madden series as the most popular sports gaming franchise because of its expansive team selection, its short, fast-paced games and its intuitive player control system. I'm predicting that bros will spend countless hours replaying English Premier League matches this fall.

Finally, the much-anticipated Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim releases on Nov. 11. Skyrim is the sequel to Morrowind, one of the bestselling videogames of the decade. Skyrim places the player in a massive fantasy world filled with knights and demons, providing countless hours of quests and activities. It will surely be a favorite for gamers when they can't find opponents for COD or FIFA.

1. Tablet computers will continue to infiltrate campus.

Tablets can make life easier for every college student. Let's be honest, sending out a long blitz from your phone sucks. The connectivity and portability of tablets give students the opportunity to stay connected to the web in places where it is inconvenient to bring your laptop. So I can guarantee that you will see more Apple and Android tablets on campus this year. I can also guarantee that the iPad isn't replacing the Macbook anytime soon.

The major flaw that will prevent college kids from buying tablets is the price tag. Let's do the math. The cheapest (and decent) Android tablet is the Samsung Galaxy Tab Wi-Fi which starts at $300. This tablet's screen is only seven inches (compared to the iPad's 10) and does not have an option to add a 3G data plan to its basic WiFi connectivity. Basically, you have to pay an entire term's worth of fraternity social dues to get a stripped down version of the iPad. While I can't speak for everyone, most students would hesitate to give up an entire term's worth of drinking. And if you want a fully featured tablet, you are going to have to pay at least $500 for the machine, along with an additional $15-$30 a month for the data plan. Considering how most tablets with a 4G internet connection will force you to commit to a two-year contract with a cellular provider, investing in a tablet computer could potentially cost you over $1,000. The bad news? Most college kids simply cannot afford this tremendous hit to their bank accounts. The good news? Same as above: You aren't alone.

1. The iPhone 5 will take campus by storm.

Although the official release date of the iPhone 5 has not been confirmed, my guess is that it will launch sometime this fall.Every Apple release over the past five years has followed the same pattern: (1) The device is kept "secret" until two weeks before it launches. (2) However, the rumors about it grow faster than Lindsey Lohan's arrest record. (3) Eventually, some technology analyst will predict the exact date, price and features of the new device, and Apple will give up on the whole secrecy charade and release the new gadget.

The rumors are already festering, my friends iPhone junkies, get ready to buy a new phone.

1. I won't purchase anything that I've talked about in this article.

I'm pretty broke as it is.