How to Maximize Your Facetime

Dartmouth is a relatively small school. Thus, as is wont to happen at liberal arts colleges in the middle of nowhere, you tend to walk around campus with the feeling that you are seeing the same people over and over again. You are not crazy. These people are campus celebs. They are campus celebs because they excel at getting facetime. As we are halfway through our Dartmouth careers, bucket lists are being drawn up faster than Jim Yong Kim can come up with sports to play in the middle of the Green. One item or goal on a Dartmouth student's bucket lists might be becoming a campus celeb. Now as I write from first floor Berry I will list some of the top activities and extracurriculars that help you get facetime, and if you have what it takes, achieve campus celeb status.

Performance Groups

These are really great for getting facetime with freshmen. Freshmen love a cappella in particular, but the Dog Day Players are also always a great bet. SHEBA is perfect if you are looking for sexier facetime. (Side note: I've never understood why SHEBA is always chosen to perform at family weekend events. Does anyone else feel awkward watching them while sitting next to your dad?) Then, there are the ultimate annual performance groups that leave freshmen starry-eyed for the rest of their first year: Croos. Not only do you perform for 90-something percent of the freshman class, but your cache lingers even longer than that pink hair dye. Except for Grant Croo. What is that?

Running for Office

Hello, canvassing! Literally knocking on people's doors and talking about yourself it doesn't get more facetimey than this. Especially if you wear green pants while doing so, or have a catchy campaign slogan that doubles as a sexual innuendo.

Playing in and Winning M@sters

Yes, masters is the ultimate manifestation of Dartmouth's absurd competitive drinking culture, though it sure is fun to watch. But who cares about the first round? Drinking isn't fun unless you're winning, and winning isn't fun unless the pit is packed with people watching you sink cups.

Working at Info Desks

Especially at the ones in Baker Corridor and Collis. This is much less aggressive than other facetime activities, but it is a great way to subtly get yourself out there. Someone in a psych class once told me that apparently the more you are exposed to an image of a person, the more attractive that person seems. Get after it.

Being a Tour Guide

Yes, this obviously gives you facetime with prospective students, but screaming about how the convenience of GreenPrint and how helpful Computer Services is certainly turns the heads of those sitting on first floor Berry, who are probably annoyed that you are a) talking so loudly and b) telling lies. But hey, they are looking at you!!

Writing for The D

This isn't directly facetime, per se, but is more name recognition. Still, combined with physical facetime, writing for The Dartmouth is really helpful in putting yourself out there. Writing for The Mirror can be excellent facetime if you are fortunate enough to have your article published next to/above/below the Overheards.

There you have it ideas for your first step on the road to campus celeb-dom. Oh, and there's always Bored@Baker.