Upperclassmen recall fond memories of past debauchery

Whether or not they immediately make a connection between Green Key and drinking outdoors, undergraduate students reflect on the big weekend as an anticipated break from the hectic nature of the College's 10-week academic term and a time to enjoy the sunny spring weather.

"There are all of these people out and about on the Green," Myra Altman '11 said. "There's this general atmosphere of springness' to the weekend."

Farzeen Mahmud '12 said she likes to take advantage of the weekend's typically warm weather with spontaneous outdoor "adventures."

"Freshman year, it was really beautiful and springy," Mahmud said. "We organized a campus-wide, all women's dance party through al-Nur [the Muslim Student Association] that ran until 12:30 a.m. When that ended, me and a bunch of people got fro-yo at Foco, then ran to Brace Commons and spent three hours wandering around campus singing in conversation to each other."

Several students interviewed by The Dartmouth cited returning alumni as the most exciting part of the weekend. Big weekends typically draw groups of alumni back to campus to relive their time at the College and meet current students.

"It's great to have the alums come back," Christian Mgbonyebi '13 said. "It's fun to talk to them and hear how the school used to be."

Tyler Melancon '12 said his favorite event over Green Key is the annual Step Show held at Alpha Phi Alpha fraternity. This year's performance, which will be held on the Saturday of Green Key weekend, will be the 20th annual production of the show, Melancon said.

"It gives students a chance to display their talents and also presents the student body with a demonstration of the type of performance characteristic of minority Greek culture," Melancon said.

Jason Simpore '13 said the best part of the weekend is the lawn party held at Alpha Delta fraternity.

Other students interviewed by The Dartmouth cited Phi Delta Alpha fraternity's Block Party, which features a concert and an inflatable bungee run on Phi Delt's lawn, as a favorite event.

"I really like that bouncy thing where you race against someone to stick to Velcro," Alex Rausch '13 said. "But it's just about being outdoors the sunshine and the festivities that make Green Key."

For most students, Green Key weekend is a chance to relax, enjoy the sun and spend time with friends after completing a stressful midterms period.

"It's basically a four-day weekend," Hannah Kim '12 said. "Absolutely nothing happens during Green Key."