Alison Polton-Simon
The Setonian
News

Slaughter delivers first Chalk Talk of the year

Although he described himself as "like Tigger" the "Winnie the Pooh" character known for his optimism Associate Dean of the Tuck School of Business' MBA program Matthew Slaughter shared somewhat pessimistic projections for the American and global economies in the first installment of the five-part Fall 2011 Faculty Chalk Talk Series, "Election Issues 2012: Hot Topics in National Politics." Slaughter divided his presentation into five segments, each centering on a number either a date, a percentage or a financial figure to showcase different aspects of the state of the economy.

Orientation.9/11Memorial.3
News

College commemorates 9/11 attacks

More than 50 members of the Dartmouth and Upper Valley communities gathered for the College's Sept. 11 memorial service on Sunday to commemorate the 10th anniversary of the terrorist attacks. The tribute began with a tolling of the Baker Tower bells at 12:15 p.m. As the sound of the chiming faded, Dean ...

05.24.11.news.AIDSLecture
News

Smith discusses AIDS in Nigeria

The moral conservatism and corruption associated with the HIV/AIDS epidemic in Nigeria can be used as a "vehicle" to understand the ways in which the country's citizens perceive globalization and development, Daniel Smith, an anthropology professor at Brown University, said in a lecture Monday afternoon. ...

The Setonian
Mirror

Upperclassmen recall fond memories of past debauchery

Whether or not they immediately make a connection between Green Key and drinking outdoors, undergraduate students reflect on the big weekend as an anticipated break from the hectic nature of the College's 10-week academic term and a time to enjoy the sunny spring weather. "There are all of these people out and about on the Green," Myra Altman '11 said.

The Setonian
News

Govindarajan launches $300 House Challenge

Confident that an environmentally-friendly house could be built for $300, Tuck School of Business professor Vijay Govindarajan organized a global competition to solicit design ideas for such houses, which could improve the quality of life for billions of poor individuals in developing countries.

04.29.11.news.sadebate4/28
News

Students partake in political debate

Students participated in the first-ever three-way debate between the College Libertarians, College Democrats and College Republicans in Collis Common Ground on Thursday evening. A panel of nine students from all four class years addressed topics ranging from government involvement in health care delivery ...

The Setonian
News

Alum. wins Pulitzer for editorial writing

Joseph Rago '05 was awarded the 2011 Pulitzer Prize for editorial writing on Monday. Rago, who studied American history at the College, received the award for 10 editorial pieces he wrote for the Review & Outlook section of The Wall Street Journal that challenged President Barack Obama's health care reform. Rago served as the editor-in-chief of The Dartmouth Review as an undergraduate and currently serves on its advisory board, according to The Review. Rago's prize, which included $10,000 and was administered by Columbia University, was the first awarded to a Wall Street Journal writer since Rupert Murdoch's purchase of The Journal in 2007, according to The New York Times.

The Setonian
News

Staff wages to increase 2 percent

Non-union College staff members hired on or before March 1 will receive a 2 percent wage increase effective this summer, Justin Anderson, director of media relations for the College, said in an interview with The Dartmouth.

More articles »