Peterlin '11 prepares for NFL draft

For most graduating seniors, spring is a time of contemplating job offers or deciding on a graduate school. For some exceptionally gifted Big Green players, however, attempting to break into professional athletics is the top priority. Shane Peterlin '11 is one of the few with the real opportunity to go pro, and while fellow students prepare to sublet apartments and buy office-suitable apparel, he is trying to accomplish his dream of becoming a professional longsnapper in the National Football League.

Peterlin, an Arizona native, said he hopes to be drafted in the later rounds of the NFL draft this weekend, but added that he will likely be signed as an undrafted free agent.

The prospect of an NFL lockout has made it unclear whether the free agency period will commence on schedule, but once it starts, teams can start reaching out to unsigned players, he said.

"Hopefully, some team will pick me up and stick with me for the long haul," Peterlin said. "I'll be in camp and try to prove myself and take a spot. They'll get a good long snapper for hopefully 10, 15 years."

Peterlin was the long snapper for the Big Green throughout his career at Dartmouth. He was originally recruited as an offensive lineman, but lingering injuries forced him to change his focus.

"He's been very dedicated to his skills and his craft," football head coach Buddy Teevens said. "He's really made it into a science. He's worked extensively to understand the finer points of his craft."

Peterlin was one of three long snappers invited to play in the first annual Eastham Energy All-Star Game in Tempe, Ariz., on January 23. Selected players had an opportunity to showcase their talents to all 32 NFL teams, as each squad sent general managers, coaches or scouts to watch practices and the final game.

In late February, Peterlin was one of 30 snappers in the country invited to an NFL Specialists Combine in Arizona, since special teams players aren't usually invited to the NFL Draft Combine. Peterlin excelled at the combine, with his performance ranking second overall.

Following his stellar ranking, a pro day was held for Peterlin and teammate defensive end Charles Bay '11 in Hanover on March 10.

To achieve his goal of going pro, Peterlin is represented by Brian Hamilton, an agent from Plan B Sports Management, LLC. Various NFL teams have been in touch with his agent in recent months, according to Peterlin.

Since his junior year of high school, Peterlin has worked with personal coach Ben Bernard, who runs Arizona Elite Longsnapping. Bernard has helped numerous long snappers progress to major college football programs and has coached three NFL long snappers.

Being a special teams player is rarely glamorous, but special teams are critical to any squad's success. Consistency is crucial, especially for a long snapper a position where one bad snap can cost the team a game.

As a part of his typical practice regimen, Peterlin snaps anywhere between 75 and 250 balls. He lifts four days a week and runs two to three days a week.

When he is in Arizona, Peterlin works out with Bernard six days a week.

"It's a monotonous job, a technician's job," he said. "You go out everyday and do the same thing, so you kind of got to work through the grind."

Peterlin said he realized early on that he needed to work hard to achieve his goals.

"I had a dream that one day I would be blessed enough to be able to play in the NFL," he said. "In [my] senior year of high school, I was told that I had a shot at this and I should keep pursuing it, especially with the long snapping. It's something that depends on what you put into it. If you put enough into it, you can get there."

Peterlin is a reserved individual who always conducts himself in a professional manner, according to several of his coaches said.

"He was a guy that kept to himself, went about his business and always did his work," associate head coach Chris Wilkerson said. "He always came early or stayed late to work on his skill. He has a tremendous work ethic."

Peterlin attributes much of his success to his family.

"Definitely getting through a tough academic school like Dartmouth, you need family support," he said. "And then going off to do something that's not the norm for here, it's a group effort."

Teevens said Peterlin exemplifies the type of athlete that Dartmouth recruits.

"We like to recruit guys with the aspiration to play in the NFL, and we try to help them parlay that athletic talent into a possible career," he said. "At the same time, I also want them to have an academic dream. We talk to them about dreams outside of athletics. That's the unique thing about the Ivies."

A history major at the College, Peterlin said he views football as different type of learning experience.

"Football is a great game," he said. "It's really a blessing that I get to play. Football teaches you life. The fact is, things that I've learned on the field I can't learn anywhere else."

Peterlin said he would use a career in the NFL as a platform to open opportunities for those less fortunate, adding that he would also like to go to law school after retiring from professional play.

The last Dartmouth alum to play in the NFL was tight end Casey Cramer '04, who was also the Big Green's last All-American selection.

Cramer was chosen in the seventh round of the 2004 NFL draft by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.