June 16, 2024 | Latest Issue

Up against weather and UVM, Big Green celebrates a win

01.20.11.sports.whockey
01.20.11.sports.whockey

The Big Green (10-8-0, 6-6-0 ECAC) was forced to stay overnight in the city normally an approximately two-hour drive from Dartmouth when difficult winter weather conditions prevented players from returning home to Hanover.

"We were pretty excited about our surprise slumber party last night," captain Katie Horner '11 said in an e-mail to The Dartmouth. "It was fun to hang out at the hotel and not have to worry about having to play a game the following day."

Dartmouth led in the game early on, scoring just over two minutes into the first period when Sally Komarek '13 connected on an assist by Jenna Hobeika '12 and Sasha Nanji '13.

"We are hoping to use [the game] as a catalyst," Alyssa Boehm '11 said. "We want to finish as high up in the rankings as we can."

The Big Green added to its lead less than a minute later, securing a 2-0 advantage after Camille Dumais '13 netted a goal. Reagan Fischer '12 and Geneva Kliman '12 tallied assists.

Amanda Trunzo '11, who scored twice in the game, knocked in Dartmouth's third goal of the period on an assist from Lisa Berreman '13. The goal was the Big Green's first shorthanded goal of the season.

"[Trunzo] was really looking to go to the net, finish strong," Boehm said. "She was really competitive."

UVM put more pressure on Dartmouth in the second frame, holding the puck in the Big Green's end of the ice for stretches of time. Neither team scored in the period, however, and Dartmouth entered the game's final frame with a three-goal lead.

Approximately five minutes into the third period, Fischer and Dumais again worked in tandem as Fischer converted the goal, increasing Dartmouth's lead to 4-0. UVM sophomore Erin Wente finally put the Catamounts on the scoreboard later in the period, bringing the score to 4-1.

Dartmouth capped off the victory 16 minutes into the period, when Trunzo netted her second goal of the game on an assist from Dumais and Berreman.

"It was a good road-trip game," Boehm said. "In the past we have definitely gotten some wind against them."

Rookie goaltender Lindsay Holdcroft '14 started and recorded 19 saves for Dartmouth, while UVM's sophomore goaltender Kelci Lanthier was able to stop the puck 23 times. The Big Green outshot the Catamounts, 28-20.

"We were successful in our game against [UVM] because we played disciplined," Horner said. "When we stick to our systems and play like a team I think we can stick with any team we have faced."

Dartmouth now sits sixth in the Eastern College Athletic Conference standings with 12 points, three points behind fifth place Princeton University.

The Big Green will next play at Thompson Arena against Union College on Friday. Dartmouth defeated Union earlier this month in Schenectady, N.Y. a game that delivered head coach Mark Hudak his 100th ECAC win.

"I think we are excited to play [Union] again," Boehm said. "We want to see if we can beat them two times in a row and at home."