Wagner appointed vice president of finance

Michael Wagner, chief financial officer of Dartmouth Medical School, has been appointed to serve as the College's vice president of finance, effective September 2010, according to a College press release.

The position of executive vice president for finance and administration was previously held by Adam Keller. In late November 2009, College President Jim Yong Kim announced that Keller would step down from the position on Dec. 1, 2009. Keller would not be replaced, as Steven Kadish would assume many of Keller's responsibilities, Kim said in the November announcement.

At the time of that announcement, Kadish was serving as senior vice president and strategic advisor to the president, though Kim said he was "still working" on the College's administrative structure and that further changes would occur. Kadish's position has since shifted to executive vice president and chief financial officer, following April's administrative reorganization, orchestrated by Kim.

Keller became senior advisor to the president and provost, Kim announced in November, and also assumed responsibilities for The Dartmouth Institute for Health Policy and Clinical Practice. Keller had previously worked as chief financial officer and chief operations officer for DMS.

Wagner - who began as the College's controller in 2001 and became chief financial officer of DMS in 2008 - will continue to oversee DMS financial operations throughout the search for his replacement, according to the release.

In the release, Kadish said that during his time at DMS, Wagner has provided thorough financial analysis, encouraged transparent financial reporting and offered sound financial advice to College administrators.

Before coming to Dartmouth, Wagner worked for PricewaterhouseCoopers, a professional service firm, for 12 years, according to the release.

Wagner graduated from Amherst College in 1986 and received a masters in accounting from Northeastern University in 1987.

Kadish also announced the appointment of three other positions in Finance and Administration in the release. Tricia Spellman, director of administration for Harvard's Francois Xavier Bagnoud Center for Health and Human Rights, and Kevin Weinman, former director of financial planning and budget at the College, were appointed as assistant vice presidents for finance, according to the release.

Tammy Moffatt, who has worked for the College's procurement services since 1987, was named director of procurement.