Crewe to direct search for next dean of faculty

06.01.10.news.folt_tilman dette
06.01.10.news.folt_tilman dette

Folt, who was appointed provost on May 5 and who is also the outgoing dean of the faculty, will step down from her position as dean as soon as a replacement is selected.

Crewe said that the search committee will select approximately 10 applicants to interview and will submit a short list of recommended candidates to Kim, who will make the final decision. In the past, committees have typically submitted three names to the College president, according to Crewe.

Committee members hope to select a new dean of the faculty "by the beginning of July," Crewe said.

The search committee will consider a candidate's area of study when evaluating applications, Crewe said. As Folt and Kim both have a background in the natural sciences, several professors previously interviewed by The Dartmouth have said they believe the dean of the faculty should be someone with different academic interests.

"I come from the humanities, so it would please me if we had a person come from the humanities in the senior administration but we can't make that criteria in advance," Crewe said. "It's not a ticket-balancing operation. We do consider factors like this, but we don't have a mandate to pick a dean from one particular division."

Once appointed, one of the dean of the faculty's first tasks will be to engage in Dartmouth's strategic planning process, a new initiative intended to set the long-term strategy of the College, according to Crewe.

"[The search committee isn't] fully involved in the strategic planning process, so it's not possible for us to select a dean [based] on those skills because in a way, we don't know what they are," Crewe said. "But we want someone energetic enough and open enough to take part in a process like that."

The new dean should have personal skills that allows him or her to work "one-on-one" with faculty and represent the body as a whole, Crewe said.

"It should be someone who has had administrative experience at the College in one way or another," he said. "You want preferably a dean who has intellectual vision. The dean doesn't just do bureaucratic administration. It's good if the dean continues to do research."

Committee members also hope to select candidates who have experience in alumni outreach, Crewe said.

"It varies from one dean to another how much they go on the road, but whatever dean it is, they will have to pitch the College to alumni and try to get alumni excited about the College," he said.

Crewe said he anticipates that the new dean will be a tenured member of the faculty with a "reasonable degree of seniority."

The committee also will take steps to ensure the transparency of the nomination and selection process, Crewe said.

Committee members are planning to consult with deputy deans and other "specific people who have some interest or stake in who the dean is," Crewe said.

Crewe said that the committee wants to solicit faculty input at every stage of the selection process. The committee will host a forum open to all faculty members, scheduled for June 3, where people can discuss their concerns about and criteria for the new dean of the faculty, according to Crewe.

In accordance with College policy, the Committee on Procedures and the Committee Advisory to the President tapped six members to serve on the selection committee two members each from the divisions of the humanities, social sciences and sciences, according to Crewe.

Native American studies and history professor Colin Calloway, religion and women's and gender studies professor Nancy Frankenberry, computer science professor Prasad Jayanti, chemistry professor Jon Kull and anthropology professor Deborah Nichols were also selected to serve on the committee, which will meet "on a number of occasions" once nominations are submitted. Most committee members served on the CAP, so they have an understanding of "how Dartmouth runs administratively and how the dean's job works," Crewe said.