Women's lax falls to Maryland, 17-6

05.10.10.WLAX
05.10.10.WLAX

The Big Green did not receive one of eight at-large bids which were announced Sunday night to play in the NCAA tournament.

In what was Dartmouth's last game of the season, both teams posted their fewest goals scored and most goals allowed this season.

"We definitely didn't play the way we know we can," Colleen Olsen '10 said.

The Terrapins shooters tested Julie Wadland '10 in the net, barraging her with a total of 37 shots, 10 of which she saved. Meanwhile the Dartmouth offense had a shot disadvantage, releasing just 17 of its own, and also fell behind in draw controls, 9-16.

Problems with maintaining possession and protecting the ball were the source of the Big Green's downfall.

"Every time we have the ball against them is a major opportunity, but we made some really silly mistakes and had some problems with turnovers," Olsen said.

Although the Dartmouth defense did a good job of hampering Maryland's dangerous fast-break game, it had difficulty counteracting the Terps' settled attack.

Maryland took control of the game from the start, with All-American Caitlyn McFadden scoring at 27:16.

Dana Brisbane '12 quickly responded, putting the Big Green on the board and tying the game at 1-1.

After Maryland scored two more goals, Greta Meyer '11 put away an assist from Kat Collins '11, cutting the lead to one.

With 20 minutes left in the half, Maryland started to pull away. Despite some solid goaltending by Wadland, the Terps scored five consecutive goals with less than nine minutes remaining, establishing an 8-2 lead over the Big Green.

Sarah Plumb '12 broke Maryland's streak by firing one past the Terp keeper at 6:29. After back-to-back saves by Maryland, Meyer broke through and scored her second goal of the game off of a feed from Sarah Parks '12.

With less than four seconds left in the first half, Wadland saved a free position to ensure that Dartmouth entered halftime trailing, 8-4. "I think we started showing our potential towards the end of the first half," Olsen said.

Although it took the Terps five shots to get past Wadland in the second, Maryland managed to score within three minutes, bringing the score to 9-4.

This goal catalyzed an 8-0 Terps run, during which the Big Green had difficulty maintaining possession and controlled only two draws.

"During the first half, we showed that we could play with the number one team in country, but as soon as we started to doubt that in the second half, they took advantage of it and used it as momentum," Olsen said.

With two minutes remaining in the game, Terp Brittany Jones found the back of the net to cement the 17-6 lead. Although Dartmouth had one last shot on goal, it proved futile when the Terp keeper came up with a save. Dartmouth graduates five seniors: Eliza Bennett '10, Alex Huestis '10, Chelsea Kirk '10, Olsen and Wadland.