Softball ends 15-game skid by defeating Princeton

04.05.10.sports.softball_Jessica Griffen

The victories over the Tigers (6-21, 0-4 Ivy) ended a month-long drought during which the Big Green (3-17, 2-2 Ivy) compiled a 0-15 record and was outscored by opponents, 72-25, over a 28-day period.

Prior to last Saturday, Dartmouth's sole win came from a 4-0 shutout victory over Western Carolina University on March 6.

With the doubleheader sweep, the Big Green will look for increased output from an offense that has struggled with run-production this season, averaging only two runs per game.

The Big Green bats, however, appear to be on the upswing, averaging over three runs per game in the last six games.

Clutch hitting was key during Saturday's doubleheader, as the Dartmouth offense struck decisively to earn its first sweep of the season.

"Our bats really came alive against Princeton and we did a great job executing the small things well both offensively and defensively," Leigha Clarkson '10 said. "One thing we will be focusing on for the rest of the season is scoring early and often."

In the opening game, the Big Green capitalized on Princeton's pitching and fielding errors during extra innings to walk away with a much-needed win, 5-2.

With both teams tied 2-2 in the top of the 10th, Meghan Everett '12 reached second on a wild pitch before Audrey Kolodziej '11 singled in the go-ahead run.

The Big Green would pad its lead with a two-run RBI double from Christy Autin '10 after a Tigers fielding error extended the inning.

"Most of the girls on the field have been playing together for years, so we naturally have a good feel for our teammates and how they play," Clarkson said.

Princeton got on the board first in the opening frame and nursed a one-run lead after five innings.

Dartmouth would tie it up in the top of the sixth behind a solo shot from Molly Khalil '12, and would hold the Tigers scoreless for the rest of the game en route to the 5-2 victory.

Kolodziej was impressive behind 4-for-5 hitting with two runs and one RBI, while Autin finished 3-for-5 with a game-high three RBIs.

On the mound, Hillary Barker '12 had a complete game, recording a season-high eight strikeouts.

In the nightcap, a timely two-run shot by Khalil broke a 4-4 tie in the seventh and capped off another round of solid hitting for the Big Green's second straight win, 6-4.

Autin's second two-run RBI double of the day started things off for Dartmouth in the second inning, as the visitors jumped to an early 2-0 advantage.

The Big Green would notch on two more runs in three innings of work to build a 4-1 lead before the Tigers rallied for three runs in the fifth behind a two-out RBI double and single.

Princeton would threaten with bases loaded in the sixth, but Dartmouth would get out of the jam by forcing a groundout to set up Khalil's two-run bomb in the seventh.

Evan Gray '13 worked 5 1/3 innings with four runs and one strikeout, while Kat Hicks '12 cleaned up for 1 2/3 innings, fanning two.

"Our pitching staff has been doing a great job of handling tough lineups all season, and it's crucial to help them out every step of the way by getting the outs when we need them," Clarkson said.

In Friday's doubleheader against Cornell (15-8, 3-1 Ivy), the Big Green batters struggled to get on base against the Big Red's starting pitchers and relievers, as the home team stifled Dartmouth's output.

In the first game, the squad could not solve reigning Ivy League Pitcher of the Year, Cornell's Elizabeth Dalrymple, as the sophomore went to work on the Big Green lineup. She struck out 14 and allowed just six base runners.

The Big Red's potent offense added to Dartmouth's woes, scoring three in the first and two in the fifth to wrap up the opening game, 5-2.

Khalil went 2-for-3, with two RBIs behind a two-run shot in the seventh.

In the nightcap, Dartmouth was unable to cool off Cornell's offense, as the Big Red took to an early 3-0 edge behind four straight hits in the first.

An impressive three-run Big Green rally in the fifth gave the visitors some momentum, but Cornell soon delivered the final blow with a crushing two-run shot in the bottom of the sixth.

Nikki Yee '10 continued to anchor the team's lineup, going 3-for 4 with a run scored. Gray took the loss, posting six strikeouts.

The women's squad will be back in action on the road this Wednesday against Sacred Heart University before resuming league play with doubleheaders against Columbia University and University of Pennsylvania next Friday and Saturday, respectively.

Head coach Christine Vogt could not be reached for comment by press time.