Men's lacrosse falls to Bryant 7-5

04.29.10.sports.mlax
04.29.10.sports.mlax

Head coach Andy Towers said that the team played well in most regards, with the notable exception of its shooting.

"You have to take advantage of the opportunities you have," he said. "Otherwise, you let teams off the hook. We just didn't bury shots the way we should."

He added that he felt the Big Green was the better team.

Dartmouth (5-7, 2-3 Ivy) jumped out to an early lead when Chris Costabile '13 scored midway through the first quarter.

Bryant (10-5) evened the score early into the second quarter, but 15 seconds later, Casey Hingtgen '10 scored after winning a faceoff. Two minutes later, Rhett Miller '11 added his own, making the score 3-1.

The turning point of the game was the final minute of the first half, when Bryant was able to score two goals to even the score at three and gain momentum headed into halftime.

Assistant coach Jon Torpey said that while he thought the defense played well, this was a let down.

"We played good defense for about 28 minutes in the first half," he said.

After halftime, Bryant jumped out to take the lead, scoring a goal four minutes into the half and adding another approximately five minutes later, bringing the score to 5-3.

Kip Dooley '12 stopped the bleeding for Dartmouth with three minutes left in the third, but Bryant answered back 13 seconds later with its second goal off of a faceoff. Dooley scored once again, however, decreasing the deficit to one.

Still, that was as close as Dartmouth would come, as Bryant added another midway through the fourth to bring the score to 7-5.

After a Bryant player was penalized one minute for slashing, the Big Green had a chance to rally with about four minutes left in the game, but it could not capitalize on the man-up opportunity. Bryant came away with a 7-5 victory.

Fergus Campbell '12 led Dartmouth with 12 saves between the pipes, and Dooley led the Big Green with two goals both coming in the third quarter.

With 18 turnovers, Dartmouth was below its season average 12, however, came in the second half.

According to both coaches, the faceoff group, which is led by Hingtgen, did very well, going eight of 16 for the game.

"On faceoffs, we did well going against arguably the best faceoff group in the country," Torpey said.

Co-captain Andy Gagel '10 said that both sides played well for Dartmouth, but the Big Green did not shoot the ball well Dartmouth had 26 shots to Bryant's 38.

Gagel also found a silver lining in the loss, noting that even though the loss prevents Dartmouth from having a winning regular season, it does not affect its chances of making the Ivy League tournament.

Dartmouth must win this Saturday against No. 18 Brown University (7-5, 3-2) with help from other Ivy teams in order to make the postseason.

"Now we know what we need to improve on," he said. "Saturday is a big game."

Co-captain Towny Swiggett '10 said that the team hopes to take out its frustration on the Bears.

"We will have a chip on our shoulder coming out to practice the next three days," he said.

Swiggett added that if the team loses, the season is over, thus Saturday is the biggest game of the year.

Towers said the team will focus on shooting and riding in practice. Bryant cleared the ball on 23 of 27 attempts Tuesday.

"One of our strengths is that we know how to handle adversity," Towers said. "We are going to stay positive and unified as a team."

Torpey said the team will do whatever it can to put its best foot forward against a well-coached Brown team.

"We have to play hard, have to play with passion and energy," he said.

Dartmouth travels to Providence, R.I., on Saturday to play Brown in its regular season finale at 1 p.m.