Daily Debriefing

College President Jim Yong Kim has been named a Fellow of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences placing him among 229 newly recognized leaders from the sciences, humanities, arts, business world, public affairs and nonprofit sector, according to a College press release. Kim is one of nine university presidents and chancellors to receive the fellowship this year. The Academy, which is celebrating the 230th anniversary of its founding, is an independent policy research center that promotes the study and public engagement of intellectual and social issues, according to the Academy's website. Kim is one of 20 members of the Dartmouth community that have received the award to date, including former College President James Wright and late College President James Freedman. Kim along with U.S. Special Envoy to North Korea Stephen Bosworth '61 and U.S. Census Bureau Director Robert Groves '70 will be inducted into the Academy at its headquarters in Cambridge, Mass., on Oct. 9. The Academy was founded by John Adams, John Hancock, James Bowdoin and other scholar-patriots in 1780, according to the press release. There are currently 4,000 American Fellows and 600 Foreign Honorary Members, according to the Academy's website. Past Academy members include prominent figures such as George Washington, Albert Einstein and Winston Churchill, according to the Academy's website. Neither Kim nor a representative from the Academy was not available for comment by press time.

The Obama administration is urging insurance companies to voluntarily maintain coverage for college graduates who could be dropped from their parents' insurance plans until the Affordable Care Act takes effect in September, according to a letter to insurance companies from Kathy Sebelius, the U.S. Secretary of Health and Human Services. The Affordable Care Act will allow students to stay on their parents' insurance plans until they turn 26, according to the letter. College students who will graduate this year, however, could be dropped from their parents' insurance coverage under current laws, although they will be allowed to re-enroll in September. Bridging the gap in coverage between May and September would "eliminate an unnecessary inconvenience and disruption in health insurance coverage for both young adults and their parents," the letter said.