Short Answer: Sting Operations

Friday's Verbum Ultimum addressed the Hanover Police Department's intention to commence "sting operations" at Greek organizations. What role, if any, should the College administration play in the response to this announcement?

The best thing the College can do at this point is collaborate with Greek leaders to come up with new strategies to protect students and put pressure on Hanover Police to provide more specifics on the implementation of this policy. It is really up to the students to mobilize a united force against this policy if any change is to occur.Natalie Colaneri '12

The leaders of campus Greek organizations have taken a proactive role in voicing their opposition to the Hanover Police Department's recent announcement. The College should support the aggrieved student body by facilitating additional meetings and encouraging the continuation of open communication between students, the Police Department, and the Hanover Select Board.Blair Sullivan '10

Though the College ultimately must be concerned with the state of social affairs and Greek organizations on campus, there is probably little actual need for the administration to get directly involved. With the entire student body protesting for the right to an open Greek scene in cooperation with alumni and, hopefully, the Hanover Select Board, this announcement will likely be reversed without Parkhurst having to do anything.Adam Sanford '13

The College should condemn Hanover Police's new policy and ask that the police call off the sting program. The police's new plan will encourage underage students to drink in their dorm rooms and discourage students from using the Good Samaritan system. Hanover Police should let Safety and Security take the lead in controlling alcohol use on the Dartmouth campus.Leonard Lewis '10The College administration has no role to play in response to this announcement. The sting operation is a question of New Hampshire politics, not College governance. It is not, properly speaking, in the College's power to stop the enforcement of state law. I don't like what Hanover Police is doing, but they are perfectly within their rights to enforce the law. If Dartmouth students don't like the law, as I don't, then what we should be working for is getting the law changed instead of trying to assert some immunity from enforcement. Peter Blair '12

If the College cannot effectively work with police to reduce their interference in student activities, they will begin to see an increase in students withdrawing to transfer to other schools. Also, it is in the best interest of the administration to find a successful solution to the on-campus sexual assault cases that Giaccone said instigated the sting operations in the first place there is much more at stake than simply underage drinking.Julian Sarkar '13

This is the perfect opportunity for the new administration to prove its commitment to upholding the "Dartmouth Experience." The administration should protect the fraternities. President Kim has the clout to convince Police Chief Giaccone to drown the new policy in the backwaters of misguided moralism.Josh Kornberg '13

The College has attempted over the past months and years to give the student body more say in the College's alcohol policy. The proposal of a student-run OAC was one such step along this path of devolution. The administration's role in this current ordeal should thus serve to reflect the vehement criticism already voiced by the student body, using its standing in the town to make some significant changes that both it and the students want.Jasper Hicks '12