VOX CLAMANTIS: Not ‘Low-Level'

The Dartmouth's most recent editorial ("VERBUM ULTIMUM: Informing Decisions," Nov. 13) is in error on the following point: The College's layoffs earlier this year were not aimed at, nor did they impact greater numbers of, "low-level staffers." In fact, positions were eliminated at all levels in the effort to bring expenditures in line with reduced revenues. More managerial and professional positions than support and service positions were eliminated.

As noted in the "Frequently Asked Questions" section of Dartmouth's Budget Communications web site: "In February 2009, the College announced 60 layoffs as part of its budget reconciliation plan. In that round of reductions people at every level were affected, but more salaried workers were laid off than were hourly workers. Managerial and professional positions were eliminated in areas such as procurement, computing, human resources, development and real estate. Dartmouth provided a financial package that included cash and financial support toward healthcare benefits to all employees whose positions were eliminated.

"Twenty-four of the 60 employees whose positions were eliminated in February 2009 were subsequently rehired into other open positions through a process in which hiring preference was given to internal applicants.

In May 2009, Dartmouth Medical School announced 12 layoffs, as well as a reduction in hours for another 40 employees. Four of the 12 DMS employees whose positionswere eliminated were subsequently rehired into other positions at Dartmouth."

Roland AdamsDirector, Media RelationsDartmouth Public Affairs OfficeHanover, N.H.