Daily Debriefing

Dartmouth computer science professor Hany Farid, the director of the Neukom Institute for Computational Science, has found evidence that the infamous photograph of President John F. Kennedy assassin Lee Harvey Oswald holding a rifle was not faked, according to a College press release. Farid used modern forensic technology to determine that the photograph was not altered in any way, according to the press release. Conspiracy theorists have long argued that the photograph was fake in an effort to support allegations of a broader plot to kill Kennedy. Farid led a team of computer scientists that developed digital forensic devices that can verify whether digital images have been altered, according to the press release. In analyzing Oswald's photo, Farid built 3-D models of Oswald's head and the backyard scene of the photograph to reenact the setting of the image. From this model, Farid deducted that the lighting the major point of skepticism was not tampered with and that the image was legitimate. Farid's study will be published in an upcoming issue of the journal Perception.

Business schools with the highest level of compensation for faculty are providing significantly larger bonuses for professors than competing institutions, according to a paper released Thursday at the Association for the Study of Higher Education's annual conference, The Chronicle of Higher Education reported. The result of this trend is that the "wealth is not being shared equally," and the salaries of professors with the most compensation are growing faster than the salaries of those with the lowest compensation. The paper's authors Pennsylvania State University professor John Cheslock and assistant dean of the University of Arizona's Eller College of Management Trina Callie analyzed the increasing discrepancy between the salary patterns of private and public business schools, according to The Chronicle.

In light of the recent economic crisis, the department of intercollegiate athletics at the University of California, Berkeley has increased efforts to reduce its operating budget in order to avoid large deficits, The Boston Globe reported on Thursday. The Berkeley department of intercollegiate athletics announced a deficit of about $5.8 million from the past fiscal year, The Globe reported. At a meeting of the Academic Senate on Thursday, academic departments accused the university of over-subsidizing intercollegiate athletics, The Globe reported. Critics called attention to the mixed financial success of the athletic programs and appealed to the administration, asking officials to seriously reconsider budget allocations, according to The Globe.