Around the League

11.13.09.sports.whockey
11.13.09.sports.whockey

Harvard (9-6-1, 6-1-0 Ivy) took home the Ivy League championship for the second consecutive year this season. The Crimson entered last weekend guaranteed a share of the title, but ensured sole possession of first place with an overtime win over Columbia on Saturday. Yale (10-6-0, 5-2-0 Ivy) finished in second, with a loss to Harvard earlier in the season.

Dartmouth (10-7-0, 4-3-0 Ivy) and the University of Pennsylvania (10-4-2, 4-3-0 Ivy) rounded out the top three in a tie. Columbia (7-7-3, 3-3-1 Ivy) and Princeton (7-7-3, 3-3-1 Ivy) tied for fifth, Brown (5-9-1, 2-5-0 Ivy) came in seventh and Cornell (1-13-1, 0-7-0 Ivy) finished in last with just one win all season.

The Big Green had several players named to the All-Ivy first team. Ali Hubbard '10, Kelsey Quick '10 and Myra Sack '10. It is the first time since 2003 that Dartmouth has had three players on the first team. Melisa Krnjaic '11, Aly O'Dea '12 and Becky Poskin '09 were voted All-Ivy honorable mention. All three are making their first appearances on the All-Ivy team. Dartmouth led the league with a total of six players named to the first, second and honorable mention teams.

MEN'S HOCKEY

Currently, four teams sit atop the standings of the ECAC Men's Hockey League. No. 5 Cornell, Quinnipiac University, Colgate University and Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute are all tied for first with four points each and are 2-0 in league play as they head into the third week of the 2009-10 season.

There are also four teams tied for second right now, including No. 15 Princeton, Harvard, St. Lawrence University and Union College, which all have two points apiece.

At the bottom of the league, No.6 Yale and Brown each have a loss and a tie so far on the season, while Clarkson University and Dartmouth (0-3, 0-3 ECAC Hockey) are winless.

ECAC Hockey will be in full swing this weekend. Coming up this Friday, nationally ranked Ivy League foes Yale and Cornell will face off in New Haven, Conn. Dartmouth and Princeton will square off on Friday at 7 p.m. in Princeton, N.J.

Saturday's match-ups include Dartmouth versus Quinnipiac, Harvard against Princeton, Cornell versus Brown and Yale versus Colgate. The Big Green will meet the Bobcats at 7 p.m. in Hamden, Conn.

Clarkson, Colgate, St. Lawrence and Union have already played three times as many games as Dartmouth this season, though the majority of those have not been against ECAC Hockey opponents.

The Big Green has been especially weak this season in man-advantage situations. Dartmouth is just 2-18 on the power play, while Cornell is 6-10.

Chase Polacek of RPI has posted a league-high six points and four assists. Dartmouth's highest scorers are Adam Estoclet '11 and Joe Gaudet '10 with one goal and one assist each.

SAILING

The Dartmouth coed sailing team already has surpassed expectations this season, and recently by catapulted itself into the national rankings for the first time in years.

Victories by the Big Green at the Loder Trophy at the University of New Hampshire and at the Hewitt Trophy at the University of Southern Maine have shown that the team has progressed extensively this year.

The coed team currently ranks ninth in the New England Intercollegiate Sailing Association, and 17th nationally.

Yale holds a strong grip atop both the NEISA and national rankings.

The women's sailing team has continued its steady rise in the national rankings this year. The team is currently ranked eighth. Rebecca Dellenbaugh '10 and Rachel Moncton '12 have led the women's team to a strong season.

Yale also ranks first in the women's national rankings, followed by Boston College and Harvard.

Both Big Green teams will close out their seasons this weekend by taking part in the biggest regattas on their schedule.

The coed team will travel to Harvard to take part in the Atlantic Coast Tournament, while the women's team will compete in the Women's Atlantic Coast Championships, which takes place at Brown.

MEN'S SOCCER

The Dartmouth men's soccer team is now poised to finish its season with the hope of capturing the Ivy League championship this Sunday against Brown (9-2-5, 4-2-0 Ivy). Dartmouth (10-5-1, 4-2-0 Ivy) is tied for second in the league with the Bears with 12 points, just one point behind Harvard (12-3-1, 4-1-1 Ivy).

Should Harvard not win in its pivotal match this Saturday against the University of Pennsylvania (6-7-3, 2-3-1 Ivy), both Brown and the Big Green can capitalize with a tie or win to return to the number-one spot.

Princeton (8-5-3, 3-2-1 Ivy) sits in fourth place with 10 points, and a win this Friday against Yale, combined with a tie by Dartmouth and Brown and a Harvard loss, would give the Tigers the title.

Harvard striker Andrew Akpan leads the league in goals with 11, and contributed in the Crimson's 2-1 defeat over the Big Green.

Elsewhere, Cornell (5-6-5, 0-3-3 Ivy) remains in last place with three points, and has not won a single Ivy League game. The Big Green was the latest to keep the Big Red from its first league victory, as Dartmouth beat Cornell last Saturday on goals of goals from strikers Lucky Mkosana '12 and Andrew Olsen '11.

WOMEN'S HOCKEY

The No. 12 Dartmouth's women's hockey team (1-2-1, 1-2-1 ECAC) had a rough start to the 2009-10 campaign as the team picked up its first victory of the regular season with a 4-2 win against No. 7 St. Lawrence University last weekend.

The Big Green will see action at home for the second weekend in a row as the Big Green faces ECAC Hockey and Ivy League rival Princeton (4-1-1, 3-0-1 ECAC Hockey) on Friday and Quinnipiac University (5-3-2, 3-0-1 ECAC Hockey) on Saturday.

Riding a five-game winning streak, including two shutouts against Yale and Brown, Princeton has vaulted to No.10 spot in the national polls.

The Tigers have contained their opponents, not letting in any goals in the last eight periods played.

Last season, Dartmouth narrowly squeaked past Princeton with a 3-2 victory, a result the team will hope to replicate this weekend.

VOLLEYBALL

The Dartmouth women's volleyball team (11-11, 7-5 Ivy) finished its two week homestand last Saturday with a decisive 3-1 set win over second-place Yale (18-4, 8-3 Ivy). The Big Green is the only Ivy team this season, aside from the University of Pennsylvania (20-4, 11-0 Ivy), to defeat the Bulldogs. Dartmouth currently stands in fourth place in Ivy standings, tied with league rival Harvard (11-12, 7-5 Ivy).

Heading into its last two matches of the season this weekend, the squad will put its four-game winning streak on the line against Princeton (9-13, 7-4 Ivy) on Friday and Penn on Saturday.

The Big Green has not beaten either opponent in over three years.

In other matchups, Penn will look to keep its perfect season alive with matchups against Harvard and Dartmouth.

The Quakers have already claimed a share of the Ivy title and will be the sole champion with a loss by Yale against Columbia or Cornell.