Healthy Cooperation

In his column last week ("Time to Go It Alone," Sept. 22), Raza Rasheed '12 expressed his frustration with the current political system, pointing specifically to this summer's health care debate. I agree with Rasheed that some of the actions of our leaders and fellow citizens in recent months have been disappointing. However, I feel that many of Rasheed's claims and attacks are unwarranted. Furthermore, while Rasheed blames Republicans and Blue Dogs for the sad state of affairs, I believe that the Democrats also have a lot to answer for.

Rasheed faults Republicans for failing to "participate constructively in the health care debate," by refusing to concede to the Democrats' proposals. But Rasheed does not seem to think that cooperation applies to both parties. He calls the concessions "unnecessary" when the Democrats are making them, but when Republicans refuse to agree, it is "a spectacular display of bad faith." Rasheed was particularly offended by the fact that Sen. Mike Enzi, R-Wyo., "suggested that he would oppose the legislation that he himself helped draft." Rasheed ignores the fact that the legislation ended up entailing aspects which Enzi found unacceptable for himself and the citizens he represents. Since the committee includes six members with different opinions, there was a relatively good chance that not all members would be happy with the final outcome. In expressing his outrage, Rasheed implies that we must refrain from acknowledging the flaws with something that we helped to create, even if we are not happy with the final result. Apparently, it is more important to have been right the first time than to end up with a better product.

While Rasheed finds it immature and frustrating that the Republicans and Blue Dogs are showing resistance to the Democrats' proposed health care plan, I find such resistance to be extremely necessary. Thank goodness the opposition was there to express hesitation when President Obama and liberal Democrats were irresponsibly trying to ram the bill through Congress before the summer recess! Democrats were rallying for the passage of rushed legislation at a time when American citizens still had a great number of questions and considerable uncertainties about reform. This was evidenced by the unusually large turnouts and passionate crowds that appeared at town hall meetings across the nation.

Rasheed asserts that "Republicans have irrationally rejected many sensible ideas" regarding reform, particularly the idea of a public option. To bolster his claim, Rasheed cites the White House's projection that only 5 percent of Americans would opt for this choice. But opponents of the public option believe this estimate to be quite inaccurate. According to a recent study by the non-partisan Lewin Group, "If the exchange is open to all firms, the public plan would enroll about 103.4 million people. The number of people with private health insurance would fall by 83.4 million people." These numbers are indeed a cause for concern. According to The Wall Street Journal, the government has already demonstrated its inability to provide sufficient coverage for Medicare recipients. Medicare reimburses hospitals at a rate of 71 percent, and doctors at a rate of 81 percent of what private insurers pay, forcing taxpayers and health providers to shoulder the rest of the costs. Expanding this failing system would be a mistake.

Rasheed claims that "the Republicans never intended to seriously attempt reform, hoping instead to incite anger and frustration against the Democrats in next year's midterm elections." This is not true. The Republicans believe just as strongly as the Democrats that reform is necessary; they just disagree with the means by which to achieve reform. The Republicans, in fact, released their own plan back in June.

Health care reform is a serious undertaking, which requires a great deal of thought, planning and constructive debate. Republican hesitation is not far off from the opinions of the rest of the country. A recent Gallup Poll indicates that 39 percent of Americans would direct their member of Congress to vote against a healthcare reform bill this fall, while 37 percent want their member to vote in favor. For Democrats to move forward without bipartisan support, as Rasheed advocates, would be for the Democrats to move forward without the support of the American people. What is needed, instead, is constructive and respectful discussion.