Field hockey unable to end slump against Bulldogs, falls 5-2

10.22.09.sports.fieldhockey
10.22.09.sports.fieldhockey

The Dartmouth field hockey team lost 5-2 to Yale on Saturday in New Haven, Conn. The Big Green (6-7, 2-2 Ivy) has lost two games in a row, and three of its last four.

Co-captain Virginia Peisch '11 and Kelly Hood '12 each scored for Dartmouth, and each assisted the other on her respective goal.

Megan Vakiener '12 made three saves between the pipes.

Senior Ashley McCauley led the way for the Bulldogs with two goals and an assist, while sophomore Charlotte Goins got the win in net, recording a season-high 11 saves during the game.

"We played pretty well for stretches of the game, but the problem was that we weren't able to play consistently for 70 minutes," Peisch said. "We had more chances than Yale, but we weren't able to demonstrate our strengths consistently."

Yale scored the first goal of the game eight minutes in when sophomore Mia Rosati scored off of an assist from McCauley. The Big Green equalized 18 minutes later when Hood connected with Peisch, who scored, on a penalty corner.

"After we tied the game, I was convinced that we were going to turn it around and have a strong game," Peisch said. "[Yale was] dominant for the first part of the game, but then we had a strong stretch. We just had trouble maintaining the high pace."

Yale extinguished any hopes Dartmouth had of controlling the game by scoring two quick goals at the end of the first period that brought the score to 3-1.

"I don't think that the two goals that we gave up before the end of the half had a big effect on how we played the rest of the game," Hood said. "We are a scrappy team and we work hard, despite the score. We regrouped at halftime and I was confident in our ability to come back as a team."

The Bulldogs quickly added a fourth goal just seven minutes into the second period, when senior Julia Weiser scored, to put the game out of reach.

Despite the final score, the Big Green was not without its chances Dartmouth outshot the Bulldogs 26-19, with Hood notching 16 shots. Dartmouth also led Yale in penalty corners, 18-8.

"There were definitely moments throughout the game when we were the better team, especially in the second half," Hood said. "I do think that if we played our game consistently for the full 70 minutes and finished in the attacking circle, the scoreboard would have ended up in our favor."

Hood is currently in second place in the Ivy League in both goals and assists. She trails Princeton sophomore Kathleen Sharkey in both categories.

"I'm playing well because my teammates are working hard," Hood said. "Every one of our players contributes to our success. We have been working hard during games and in practices, and I think that has made me a better player."

Peisch credited Hood's success this year to her strong work ethic and consistent showing in practices.

"[Hood] has been playing very well for us and has been working hard," Peisch said. "She always brings a lot of intensity to practices, and it's great to see that her hard work is paying off."

Peisch said that the team will be looking to finish strong by winning its remaining four games, three of which are against Ivy opponents.

Dartmouth also has one non-league game remaining on the schedule, a matchup with the No. 11 University of Massachusetts.

The Big Green will try to improve its Ivy League record as it takes on Columbia this Saturday at 12:30 p.m. at Chase Field.