175 students report flu symptoms

10.07.09.news.H1N1
10.07.09.news.H1N1

H1N1 vaccines are expected to arrive at Dartmouth in the coming weeks, Turco said.

The College an H1N1 surveillance site for the state of New Hampshire has started randomly testing students with influenza-like illnesses for swine flu.

Dick's House defines an influenza-like illness as "a fever of 100 degrees Fahrenheit or greater and/or a cough or sore throat," following guidelines set by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Turco said in the e-mail.

The College is taking measures to prevent the spread of the illness, Turco said, adding that he does not foresee the cancellation of any events due to the spread of the virus because it usually causes a fairly mild to moderate illness that patients recover from in a few days.

No Dartmouth students so far have been hospitalized as a result of influenza-like illnesses, according to Turco's e-mail.

The preliminary shipment of the H1N1 vaccine has already arrived at the Department of Health and Human Services in Concord, N.H., Turco said in an interview with The Dartmouth. The first batches will then be shipped this week to various clinics that will administer the vaccine. The first shipments will likely arrive at Dartmouth on Oct. 12, Turco said, although he could not confirm the date.

All clinics receiving these first shipments are required to sign an agreement with the state affirming that they will first administer the vaccine to medical providers and first-responders, which includes Safety and Security officers, Turco said.

The next group to receive the vaccine will include those who are at high risk for developing complications should they contract H1N1. High-risk patients include those with active asthma, diabetes or any kind of immune deficiency, Turco said. Pregnant women will also be included in this group.

The third group to receive the vaccine will be people between six months and 24 years of age, who are considered to be at higher risk for contracting the virus than older patients, Turco said. This is the opposite of the seasonal flu, for which older patients are higher risk.

Turco recommended that everyone get the vaccine, even those who have already had an influenza-like illness this year, once enough doses become available. The vaccine poses no additional risk to people who have already had the virus, Turco said.

The first batches of the vaccine will be in the form of a nasal spray, Turco said. While this form of the vaccine is safe for most people, it is not recommended for the "high risk" group, which includes those patients with diabetes, asthma or any kind of immune deficiency. An injectable form of the vaccine will become available at a later date.

The vaccines will be available through Dick's House, although employees will have to receive the vaccine through their primary care providers. The federal government is covering the cost of the vaccines.

While some individuals may develop a mild fever for a couple of days after they receive the vaccine, Turco said, most patients will have no side effects.