Handel Society gives concert in honor of those lost in war

On Jan. 3, 2009, Israeli troops launched a ground operation in the Gaza Strip following several months of heightened tension in the region. Later that week, the Handel Society of Dartmouth coincidentally held its first rehearsal of the new year to practice Handel's oratorio "Samson," which retells the Biblical story of the conflict between the Israelites and Philistines in ancient Gaza.

Drawing a connection between current events and the over 250-year-old piece of music was a central element of the Handel Society's spring concert, held Saturday night in the Hopkins Center's Spaulding Auditorium. The society, under the baton of musical director Robert Duff, performed "Samson" and two other choral pieces, which were intended to honor those lost in war.

"Samson," first performed by the society about 200 years ago, was the first piece in the program. In addition to honoring the memory of the victims of war, the oratorio commemorates the 400th anniversary of John Milton's birth -- Handel based the piece on Newburgh Hamilton's original libretto "Samson," which in turn drew from Milton's "Samson Agonistes." The Handel Society portrayed the dual roles of a chorus of Philistines and a chorus of Israelites, accompanied by five soloists. The singers were backed by a rich and full orchestra.

Four of the soloists were professional singers, some of whom have performed with the likes of the National Symphony, the Royal Philharmonic and the New York Philharmonic.

Tyler Putnam '09, who played the role of Harapha, a giant who mocks Samson in prison, was the fifth soloist. Duff, in an interview with The Dartmouth, said he invited Putnam to be a soloist after Duff guest-conducted a performance of "Messiah" at the Church of Christ at Dartmouth College, which featured a solo by Putnam.

"I hadn't heard him since he was a sophomore, but it was clear that he was at the point to begin pursuing a career in music, and I thought this would be a good opportunity for him," Duff said.

To train for the part, Putnam said he worked with Louis Burkot, who is his voice teacher and also is the director of the Dartmouth Glee Club, starting late Winter term. In addition, he said he met with Duff four or five times to rehearse.

"Preparing for this role has been a pretty big thing for me." Putnam said. "It's no small task. This has definitely been one of my biggest focuses this term."

In addition to "Samson," the program included two contemporary pieces: "Last Letter Home," composed by Lee Hoiby in 2006, and "Requiem for the Fallen," composed by up-and-comer Jonathan Leshnoff in 2007.

"Last Letter Home," written for men's choruses and string orchestras, is based on the true story of U.S. Army Pfc. Jesse Givens, who was deployed to Iraq in 2003. Before leaving, Givens wrote a letter to his family with the following instructions: "Please only read it if I don't come home. Please put it away and hopefully you will never have to read it."

Three weeks after his deployment, Givens' tank fell into the Euphrates River, and he drowned.

"Requiem for the Fallen," co-commissioned by the Handel Society of Baltimore and the Handel Society of Dartmouth, is dedicated to remembering those killed in the Iraq War. The 20-minute piece incorporates part of the Requiem Mass, the Kaddish from Jewish liturgy, two Walt Whitman poems and the Prayer of St. Francis.

Leshnoff, the composer, visited several classes last week and gave a pre-performance discussion Saturday.

According to Duff, rehearsing for Saturday's spring show was a learning experience for all involved.

"Several of the students have spoken about their understanding of their privilege, of being part of a privileged class that would never have to enroll in war," he said. "They have spoken about what it means to have the freedom to come to Dartmouth and not by default end up on the front lines of Iraq."

Duff added that the program also has demonstrated for students the impact of war on their lives.

"It's given them an opportunity to, one, reflect on the blessings they have in their lives and, two, on the reality of people of your own generation and age that don't have such privilege," he said.