THIS, Sir, Is My Case!

Let me preface this article by clearly stating that I know absolutely nothing about style. Yes, I pick up a copy of Esquire, GQ and Highlights before every flight, but don't let that fool you. Frankly, this probably should have been the week I used my vacation days from this job, as to avoid the embarrassment of my lack of expertise.

With all of that said, I do have eyes, I do have ears and I have been quietly noticing those public figures whom the public continuously puts up on a pedestal as "stylish." If I were to make a list of "Who's Who" of style in 2009 so far, it would be a crowded field, but there are two that stand head and shoulders above the rest.

Unless you live under a rock, either by force or because of the recession, you know that the year 2009 will go down as the year of the first lady. Currently, the two style stalwarts (and future style icons) that are neck and neck as the most stylish figures in 2009 both serve as first ladies, and both are heralded as fully responsible for their husband's successes. Their grace and charm are unparalleled, and as the public eye has focused on them at an increasing rate in 2009, these two wonders have not disappointed in their style choices.

It should be obvious by now that the two wonderful women I'm talking about are Michelle Obama and Susan Wright. Now, I have no proof that there is an actual battle going on between the two women, but every time I see Michelle, I say to myself (aloud, which is awkward, I know), "There is no way that outfit can be topped. Michelle wins."

Then, a few days later, I walk down Tuck Mall, and who else do I see but Susan, completely one-upping Michelle. Then, later that week, I turn on CNN to look at G-20 coverage, and there's Michelle, one-upping Susan. This cycle of "who's more stylish" has been going on for months now, and honestly, I see no end in sight.

I could sit idly by, basking in the presence of these two wonders, but my nature is competitive one, and honestly, I want a winner. Even though a public declaration of a competition hasn't been confirmed (or denied...), I can't sleep at night without truly knowing who is the most stylish woman of 2009. So, for my sake and for the sake of the American people, I am committed to solving this once and for all. And, to prevent calls of shenanigans by the naysayers and skeptics, don't worry. I'm judging extremely subjectively, and promise to not use any factual evidence to declare a winner. LET'S PLAY BALL.

The Case for Michelle:

Michelle Obama is currently the most talked about woman in the world. And, instead of the press focusing on the mind-blowing intelligence and credentials that go toe-to-toe with those of her husband, the media instead focuses on her sleeveless dresses, her triceps and her J. Crew separates.

Do I think this is fair? No.

Does that mean she best step her game up every time she walks outside? Absolutely.

She could buckle under the pressure by staying inside most of the time, or by wearing one of those Michael Jackson veils, but no. I see Michelle on the news more than Barack, stepping out in some of the flyest outfits known to man. I will also note that I am not a huge wearer of pins, mainly because I usually end up stabbing myself, but one of the pins I will wear is my Michelle Obama pin with her in a beautiful purple dress. I wore this pin around Mrs. Wright once and she complimented me on how much she loved Michelle and how great she looked in the picture. Has Mrs. Obama ever complimented me on my Susan Wright pin? Not once. Maybe it's because every time I run into her it's been neither the time nor the place. Or maybe she simply wasn't impressed. Your call.

The Case for Susan:

Ever since College President James Wright announced that he would be stepping down as president in June 2009, he and Susan have been on the road, making appearances all over the country on their KISS circa 2000-esque farewell tour. Perhaps the biggest stop on the tour was back in Hanover, the day College President-elect Jim Yong Kim was named the 17th member of the Wheelock Succession. The morning of this historic day, I'm pretty sure Susan woke up and said (to herself, she is a lady, after all), "Susan, it's time to bring out the big guns."

At that point, I'm sure Mrs. Wright pulled that special book out of the bookshelf, causing the wall to rotate, and inside there it was: the single most spectacular garment created by man. Now, as I noted in the beginning, I have no knowledge of fashion, have never even stepped foot in a department store and have not the slightest idea what one would call this piece of clothing in question. What I do know was that it was yellow, it had about seven black buttons, and every woman that day not named Susan Wright got a lesson in "how to step your game up."

I heard a rumor that has not been confirmed (or denied) that Michelle was on her way to Spaulding Auditorium, overheard all the talk about Susan's outfit, and turned around and went back to Washington, D.C.

So what's the verdict? It basically comes down to one thing for me: Michelle didn't give credit to Susan when credit was due. When Susan saw her only fashion equal on my pin, she could have used the opportunity to take a cheap shot, or just ignore it completely. But no, she acknowledged Michelle, displaying the grace that only Mrs. Wright has. Style is more than the clothes you wear. It's about how you carry yourself, especially under times of stress. (I have no idea if this is actually what style is. For all I know, that could be the opposite of style.)

So, in this Bird vs. Magic, Rambo vs. Communism, Ali vs. Frazier, Titanic vs. Iceberg battle for style supremacy, the winner is clearly Susan Wright.

Dartmouth, you have but a little while with Mrs. Wright before she leaves this humble institution, start taking notes while there is still time.