Despite rough waters, sailors post solid weekend finishes

The Big Green sailing team competed in four separate regattas over the weekend, winning one overall and placing in the top 10 in two others.

The Big Green raced to a fourth-place finish in the Brad Dellenbaugh Women's Trophy regatta, while at the Ferrarone Team Race Intersectional, Dartmouth faced stiff competition and difficult conditions, emerging with a seventh-place finish.

Dartmouth sailors also posted a 12th-place finish at the Central Series Three regatta. At Providence College, meanwhile, the Big Green was able to secure a first-place finish, sweeping all of the event's races.

Ben Bier '10 said the hard work the team has done in practice is beginning to show at their regattas.

"This weekend our whole team performed well, especially our women's team, who finished fourth at the Dellenbaugh Trophy," Bier said.

The 23rd annual Women's Brad Dellenbaugh Trophy regatta, held at the Edgewood Yacht Club near Brown, featured competition among 16 teams.

Sailing for the Big Green in the A division were Kendall Reiley '09, Ali Hiller '11 and Sarah Johnston '09, while the B division boat was manned by Rebecca Dellenbaugh '10 and Steph Gagnon '10.

Racing in windy conditions, the Big Green struggled in the A division, finishing in 12th place overall in two days of competition. In the B division, however, the Dartmouth sailors came up big, with Dellenbaugh and Gagnon winning four races to finish second in their division.

The wins were enough to lift the Big Green to a fourth-place finish overall.

Yale took the Dellenbaugh trophy, edging out a Brown squad that struggled during the regatta's final race.

The Ferrarone Team Race Intersectional, hosted by Yale at the McNay Family Sailing center, featured 10 teams of three boats each.

In the team race format, each school's squad goes head-to-head against the other squads in a round-robin format, with the three boats working together to win each competition.

Saturday's competition saw extremely windy conditions. The Big Green went 3-6 during the first round, beating the University of Pennsylvania, the University of Rhode Island and Yale. The opening round of sailing was complicated by the difficult weather, as strong wind gusts and large waves caused 30 boats to capsize in just 45 races.

After the first day of racing, Dartmouth stood in seventh place, placing it in Sunday's silver round-robin group for the bottom four teams.

The Big Green won all three races on Sunday to finish the regatta in seventh place overall, while Boston University claimed the competition's top spot.

Sailing for the Big Green in the Ferrarone Team Race Intersectional were skippers Matthew Cohen '10, Ed Jude Glackin '11 and Sam Williams '12, while Sam Andrew '11, Kathy Oprea '10 and Anne Megargel '09 competed as crews.

"Team racing in this weekend's conditions was pretty extreme," Cohen said. "With winds topping out at 35 knots, sometimes not capsizing was all the strategy you needed to win a race."

Dartmouth also sent a squad to compete at the Central Series Three regatta hosted by Tufts University, where strong winds made a mess of the sailing.

After three races Saturday, further racing was postponed to Sunday due the strong wind, which had already broken two masts.

Despite the inclement weather, Dartmouth's A division boat did well, racing to a sixth-place finish in its division. The B division boat was not as successful, finishing 15th and placing the Big Green in 12th place overall.

Particularly costly for the Big Green was the regatta's fourth race, when the A division boat came in ninth place and the B division boat was unable to finish the race.

The team's final weekend regatta was hosted by Providence College, where the Big Green bettered four other squads to take first place, sweeping all of its competition head-to-head matchups.

Sailing in Dartmouth's three boats were skippers Bier, Colin Treseler '09 and Bernard Roesler '12, while Heidi Heller '10, Raquel Merchant '12 and Rachel Moncton '12 raced as crews.

The Big Green sailors will return to action next weekend, competing in regattas at Harvard, Boston University, Massachusetts Maritime Academy and the University of New Hampshire.