Proceed With Caution

As I watched Obama's inauguration last Thursday, I felt hopeful and moved (which I expected), but also a little concerned (which I did not expect).

Before the inauguration, Brian Solomon '11 asked "what President Obama can say on this day that will ... ignite the passions of Americans" ("A Time (For Us) To Act," Jan. 20). Obama said plenty. His inaugural address was the culmination of a series of inspirational speeches that have given hope to despondent Americans from all walks of life, but especially to members of our generation.

In 18- to 30-year-olds, Obama's calls for change stirred excitement that we haven't seen in a long while. According to the Center for Information and Research of Civic Learning and Engagement, 52 to 53 percent of Americans under the age of 30 cast their ballot in the 2008 presidential election -- an increase of 11 percent from the 2000 election. Approximately 66 percent of us voted for Obama.

Obama appealed to our sentiments, and, unlike most presidential candidates, convinced many to genuinely care about the outcome of the election. In a pre-election column, Ben Gifford '10 said "there's nothing wrong with appealing to our affective responses as we try to form attitudes about politicians" ("Gut Check," Oct. 23, 2008). Indeed, the extra push these responses provided may have been just what we needed to get out of the doldrums of Bush-era politics.

What Obama did not say on Jan. 20, however, was the correct version of the presidential oath of office. It was, rightfully, not a big deal -- it was not even his fault. But it made me think of how differently the peccadillo would have been received if it happened to our previous president. (Remember Bush's pretzel incident?)

Throughout his campaign, as well as during Bush's lame-duck months, Obama had the media on his side. If that means that he was spared some snarky, pedantic criticism, that's great -- we have more important things to worry about.

But even if we (justifiably) do away with some of the acrimony, we must leave room for legitimate criticism. The inauguration itself is a good place to start. An occasion that momentous can speak for itself. A more modest, solemn ceremony would have been more in line with the tone of Obama's speech, not to mention the state of the economy, and would have done just as well as the colossal, multimillion-dollar affair.

The inauguration should have been a turning point. After it, things should have, in a sense, gone back to normal, with the media critical and the public wary of the administration. Now that we got Obama elected, we should redirect our fervor, and worry about whether he will do a good job, as well as figuring out what we can do to help. We must move on from the enchantment to make sure the change we've been promised actually materializes, and that it meets our needs and desires. We should be capable of being critical without being cynical or angry.

In our enthusiasm for the new president, we cannot let the adoration that initially inspired us blind us from real concerns. Over the past few months, persons affiliated with the Obama administration have been entangled in gaffes (Geithner's questionable tax records) and even major scandals (the Blagojevich affair). Though Obama is not to blame for some of these problems, others remain suspect. We should be concerned about the developments of such hazy affairs, and should carefully scrutinize them. Americans must watch out for shortcomings and areas in need of improvement, and must hold Obama to the same standards that they have held any other president.

Last week's Verbum Ultimum suggested that America "needs a firm hand to adjust its course" ("A New Chapter," Jan. 23). The new administration does not need to be that firm hand, and the people should not take it on faith that it will do what is right. America was not built around obedience to its leader; instead, it was forged by people who could think for themselves.

Maintaining a critical awareness is especially important for our generation. As we start our careers and our families, we will be the age group most significantly affected by the new presidency. Let's take advantage of what goes well, but let's also keep our eyes and ears open for what is done poorly and must be improved.

We should not let our zeal for change turn into apotheosis. Hero worship is the last thing we need.