Women's hockey rolls at home to extend winning streak

Dartmouth's offense dominated this weekend, as the Big Green out-scored Union and RPI, 11-1, and out-shot them by a combined 81-31 margin.

On Friday, Union (0-11-1, 0-4-0 ECACHL) managed to hang in the game for the first two periods before Dartmouth (5-0-0, 4-0-0 ECACHL) exploded for a four-goal third period to seal the 6-1 win.

Maggie Kennedy '09 scored six minutes into the game to put the first point up on the board. A shot from defender Sue Schmitz '10 was saved by the Union goalie Lundy Day, but teammate Jenna Cunningham '10 was able to keep the puck in play before finding Kennedy at the far post. Both Schmitz and Cunningham were credited with assists on the goal.

Amanda Trunzo '11 put Dartmouth ahead, 2-0, at 17:21 in the first period. A pass from Cunningham found Trunzo in great scoring position at the far post.

Just two minutes into the second period, however, Union put up a goal of its own to cut the deficit, making it a 2-1 game. Lauren Cromartie took a shot on Dartmouth goalie Mariel Lacina '10, who made the save only to have Adelle Calahan put the rebound past her for Union's lone point of the evening.

Going into the final stanza, Dartmouth still held only a one-point advantage over Union, but the Big Green connected for four goals to put away its opponent.

Less than a minute into the third period, Dartmouth took a 3-1 lead as Katie Gray '09 tallied her first goal of the season, with Julia Bronson '09 earning the assist.

Dartmouth's lead would expand just under three minutes later as captain Sarah Newnam '09 beat the Union goalkeeper during a power play to put the Big Green up 4-1. Co-captain Shannon Bowman '09 earned an assist on the play. Gray and Kennedy earned another point each a few minutes later, when they tallied assists on Cunningham's second goal at 8:13 in the third period to make it a 5-1 game.

With just four minutes left in the game, Gray made it 6-1 with her second goal of the game. Taking advantage of the power play, Gray buried the puck in the back of the Union net, thanks to passes from Trunzo and Bronson.

Day, the Union goalie, was under siege for much of the night as the Big Green offense pounded her with shot after shot. The Big Green put up 53 shots, compared to just nine from Union. Lacina got her first win of the season, making just eight saves.

"We got off to a bit of a slow start on Friday, but improved as the game went on," Sarah Toupal '10 said. "We were able to gain some momentum going into the RPI game."

The Big Green was back in action on Saturday, when Dartmouth downed Rensselaer, 5-0, in front of just over 1,000 spectators.

With the shutout, goalie Carli Clemis '09 entered the record books as the first Dartmouth goalie to record shutouts in three consecutive starts. Clemis has not been scored on in over 184 minutes, which is also a Dartmouth record.

Along with strong play from Clemis, Dartmouth knew it had to assert itself on offense to counter RPI's (5-5-1, 2-1-1 ECACHL) momentum.

"RPI had tied Harvard the previous night, so we knew that we needed to start strong in order to set the tempo for the whole game," Toupal said.

The Big Green got off to a fast start, as Bowman recorded her first goal of the season just 29 seconds into the game. Driving hard at the net, Bowman beat Rensselaer goalkeeper Sanja Van der Bliek to make it a 1-0 game, with the assist going to fellow senior Marley McMillan '09.

Dartmouth scored again just nine seconds later, as Trunzo extended her four-game goal scoring streak.

Toupal made it 3-0 with just over two minutes left in the opening period, scoring an unassisted goal that brought the sizeable crowd to its feet. The goal was Toupal's first of the season.

"We got off to a great start by putting two in right away, and although we didn't play as well in the second and third periods, we were able to keep up our momentum for the rest of the game," Toupal said.

Dartmouth added two more goals in the second period to wrap up the game. Moira Scanlon '12 tallied her first collegiate goal just under nine minutes into the period, and Gray put in her third goal in two games with six minutes left in the frame to put the Big Green in front, 5-0.

Rensselaer had a number of opportunities to get on the board in the second and third periods but was unable to get anything past Clemis. She had several great saves on the night, as she blocked a number of shots from point-blank range to keep her shutout streak going.

Dartmouth's defense has only conceded one goal in its last four games, as the Big Green have out-scored opponents, 18-1.

The Big Green faces St. Lawrence University at 7 p.m. on Friday in Canton, N.Y., and then plays Clarkson University at 4 p.m. on Saturday in Potsdam, N.Y.