Vox Clamantis: Sheep Mentality?

Is Grafton County GOP Chairman Ludlow Flower actually serious when he claims that Dartmouth students vote en bloc and that kind of "sheep mentality" got Obama and Vanessa Sievers '10 elected? As a moderate-leaning (certainly not leftist) alumnus, I am simply stunned by this completely uninformed and obnoxious lunacy.

If Mr. Flower and the incumbent Treasurer Carol Elliott really want to engage in some critical analysis as to why they lost, then perhaps they should look at the basic facts. In America, citizens -- which the last time I checked included college-aged students -- have the right to vote.

The College and its students provide a tremendous amount of community service, employment opportunities and medical care for the Upper Valley. The College has been here since 1769. If the Republican party can't provide a candidate who satisfies the electorate, then perhaps they should change the candidate or message rather than rigging the electorate in their favor.

Finally, Ms. Elliott must realize how ridiculous she sounds decrying a Dartmouth student's lack of "qualifications." I'm fairly certain these so-called "qualifications" for country treasurer do not require a rocket scientist -- much less three-fourths of a Dartmouth degree.

Kenan Yount '06

Charlottesville, VA