Alumni win seats in Nov. 4 state elections

Vanessa Sievers '10 has yet to hear the results of her race for Grafton County treasurer against three-term Republican incumbent Carol Elliott.

Hoeven was reelected in a landslide victory, defeating Democratic state senator Tim Mathern with 74 percent of the vote. Hoeven, a two-term incumbent, will be the first North Dakota governor to serve for more than eight years.

The victory reflects support for Hoeven's economic agenda, which has been well-received by North Dakotans, according to Don Larson, Hoeven's campaign manager.

"From day one, the governor focused on aggressive economic development so we could expand and diversify our economy in North Dakota, and it's working," Larson said in an interview with The Dartmouth. "Other states are struggling, but North Dakota has a surplus."

North Dakota's manufacturing, energy and tourism industries have seen rapid growth under Hoeven's administration, Larson said

Larson stressed that Republican incumbents held on to their seats in North Dakota state elections, despite the national loss of Republican seats in Congress and the election of a Democratic president. John McCain took North Dakota with 53 percent of the vote.

Hoeven has proven himself capable of working with people who have diverse perspectives on a given issue, Larson said.

"We're not focused on what's going on nationally, we're focused on what's going on in North Dakota," he said.

In New York's 20th District, Gillibrand won 61.8 percent of the vote, defeating Republican Alexander "Sandy" Treadwell. In 2006, Gillibrand became the first Dartmouth alumna elected to the U.S. House of Representatives.

Gillibrand's campaign did not return requests for comment.

Hodes was elected to his second term in New Hampshire's Second District, which includes Grafton County. Hodes told The Dartmouth that students' political fervor during his time at the College -- including a massive storming of Parkhurst Hall -- inspired him to run for public office.

"I was here during the Vietnam War, and I felt so disconnected from the policies of the government," he said. "I saw how important it was to be involved."

Also in New Hampshire, State Representative Matthew Houde '91, D-Plainfield, won his race for a seat in the State Senate. Houde similarly said his Dartmouth career influenced his decision to run.

"It was the faculty raising questions, it was my classmates challenging me," Houde said.

Vanessa Sievers '10 has yet to hear the results of her race for Grafton County treasurer against three-term Republican incumbent Carol Elliott. The results of the race, Sievers said, will not be official until they are made public by the New Hampshire Secretary of State, adding that the Secretary of State's office may not release the results until the end of the week.

"It's terrible," she said. "Everyone's been asking about it, and I have no information at all."

Sievers called officials in each Grafton County town to try to gauge election results, she said. While some town's offices were closed, she said Plymouth, Hanover and Lebanon all reported election results in her favor.

Sievers focused her efforts on college campuses, which she said helped gain support. She added that Facebook advertisements were particularly successful.

"I never did anything else in Plymouth, and I got a 400-vote edge there," Sievers said.

Sievers is worried that Elliott may have carried enough small towns to win the election, but said that the Valley News told her Wednesday that they projected Sievers would win.

An article in the online edition of The Citizen of Laconia declared on Wednesday that Sievers had won.

The Dartmouth could not determine the results of the election for Grafton County treasurer.

Democrat Beatriz Pastor Bodmer, a Spanish professor at the College, won an uncontested race for a New Hampshire state representative seat.