Women's Soccer Falls to Tigers,1-0

Big Green women's soccer was unable to find the back of the net during the Big Green's 1-0 loss to Princeton Saturday afternoon in Princeton, N.J.

Princeton (6-1-1, 2-0 Ivy) jumped on the board in the 32nd minute with a rocket from Sarah Peteraf from 25 yards out that beat Dartmouth goalkeeper Laurel Peak '09 to the back of the net.

The Big Green dropped its second game this season by a score of 1-0 to an Ivy League opponent. Dartmouth suffered a similar one-goal fate against Brown on Sunday, Sept. 28 in Hanover. In that contest with the Bears, the Big Green cranked out 17 shots but only forced Brown goalie Brenna Hogue to make four saves in her shutout performance.

Despite the score, the Big Green outshot the Tigers, tallying nine shots over 90 minutes, compared to Princeton's five.

Princeton goalkeeper Alyssa Pont had a solid performance, preserving the shutout by making five saves. Peak made only two saves, but was mostly uncontested in the second half, during which Princeton put up only two shots.

The Big Green opened the game with a scoring opportunity in just the second minute of play. Peyton Tata '11 fired a strike and forced Pont to make a stop. Princeton failed to take a shot until the 29th minute, when Tiger attacker Peteraf forced Peak to make her first save, just three minutes before scoring the only goal of the game.

"There was something missing in the first half of our game," junior midfield Ali Hubbard '10 said. "We didn't play to our strengths, and we lacked the intensity and drive that are usually present. On the other hand, our second half was great. We played well as a unit, and we were able to create some chances on net. We were a much better team, but our first half really hurt us in the end."

The Big Green put the pressure on Princeton's defense during the second half, taking eight shots, none of which reached the backed of the net.

The Dartmouth attack found two opportunities in the middle of the second half with back-to-back shots on goal. The first was by senior forward Becky Poskin, and the second from Meagan Tibbo '11 in her first appearance of the season.

Late in the game, the Big Green had another series of chances, including four attempts in four minutes, but failed to even up the game.

"The loss was a huge disappointment," Hubbard said. "Any loss is upsetting, but when it's an Ivy League match there is always additional pain and frustration."

Leading the attack was Tata, who finished with four shots, including two on goal. Poskin also took three shots, with two on goal.

"In the first half we came out slow and just not sharp enough," said head coach Angie Hind after the game. "In the second, I think we were only out of their half maybe two times. We dominated possession-wise, but to credit their defense we just could not get a clear chance."

Three Big Green players are currently tied for most goals scored during the season on the team. Peyton Tata, Aly O'Dea '12, and Alexis Euwema '11 have all scored two goals on the season. Five players on the team have tallied four points over the Big Green's nine games played this year.

"We need to continue playing with passion and not let this loss bring us down," Hubbard said. "There are still seven games left, five of which are Ivy League games. We need to stay strong and believe in ourselves."

The Big Green faces off against the State University of New York-Albany on Tuesday at 6 p.m. on Burnham Field in Hanover.