Letter to the Editor: Self-important 'schmentality

Gabrielle Tudin '12's "Take Back the (Saturday) Night!" (Sept. 30) was ridiculous, embarrassing and offensive. First and foremost, it is not the responsibility of the '09s, '10s or '11s to serve as "role models" for having a "good time." We are not here to shepherd you around Frat Row or manage our precious time so that you can fulfill your otherwise meaningless night in our company. We are not your party planners. If your own friends and your own class cannot entertain you sufficiently, it is not our duty to create a scene for you because your one Saturday has been devoid of the Animal House setting you anticipated. The entire point of Orientation is to connect with your peers and form relationships that foster unique freshman experiences stretching beyond the drunken walks down Frat Row. We've all been in 'shmobs, we've all awkwardly crowded the Tri-Kap basement, but we've also all had the ability to create a fun environment without holding the hand of an '09.

So please refrain from stating the "'09s, '10s and '11s need a little lesson on managing their time so they can relax on a Saturday night." We manage our time so that we can do well in classes, play well on the field, organize your extracurricular activities and, at the end of the day, wind down or live it up with our own friends in our own scene. Instead of whining at the apparent "lameness" of the Saturday night, try to take advantage of the freshman experience and find your own self-sustaining network of entertainment.

Caroline Cima '10