COUNTERPOINT: Where to Live?

Hey, before you sign a year-long lease to the Love Shack, listen up! Sure, off campus housing may seem sweet, but dude, step back. Breathe. Look at yourself in the mirror.

Yes, you're wearing a shirt that says "Disneyland + Hogwarts = Dartmouth." And why? I doubt you've had a recent run-in with a dragon or a mouse significantly larger than the one that launched itself out of my underwear drawer at me last week, so permit me to return to my five-week freshman winter stint as a psych major: I believe your desire to construe your current locale as a combination of various capitalist and slightly geeky fantasy lands reflects aspects of delayed maturation.

You're a child. And face it, we all are. We could have gone to school in a city, but for some reason we're here, in a social scene that mostly involves dressing up in sparkly, too-big outfits and acting annoyingly blas if questioned about it. And I'll bet you my entire collection of bequested shiny necklaces that one of the last movie you saw was Wall-E.

Now, we over-grown kindergarteners have landed ourselves a pretty sweet deal here at Disneywarts, (noparentswoo) and living in College housing is pretty much the ultimate exercise in let's-play-grown-up. You've got your own place (once you kick out your roommate's hookup from last night), and, as every freshman is strenuously instructed, you don't have to let Safety and Security in to break up your sweet party.

On the harsh reality side: when the heat breaks or your little rodent friend decides he does actually have aspirations to be a stuntman, you break out the phone and whine to ORL. Then, after the friendly FO&M guy shows up and fixes the problem, you get to kick him out, because hey, it's "your" room.

So, having achieved this perfect balance, why in the name of Keystone would you want to assume actual responsibility? Landlords? Boots on your car? Electricity bills in your name? Why are you subjecting yourself to this for a few extra square feet of kitchen space and a longer walk to Collis Late Night?

So don't do it! Stay in the childhood bubble for just a few more years, throw a party in your room and blame all the damage on some drunk rando. Or a random wizard, your call.