Students given $100 in Undying phone drive

Student involvement in the Association of Alumni elections took a new turn as members from at least two sororities took part in a Monday night phone drive organized by Dartmouth Undying that targeted alumnae. Dartmouth Undying supports candidates who oppose the Association's suit against the College.

Students also called alumnae on Friday and are scheduled to do so again Tuesday, according to Martha Beattie '76, a member of Dartmouth Undying who organized the phone drives. The Association elections come to a close on June 5.

"We think that [women] have historically voted in much lower numbers than their male counterparts, and we think there are issues in this election women need to really know about," Beattie said in an interview. "As a woman at Dartmouth, I would want to know what is going on."

In the telephone sessions, held in the Coldwell-Banker Real Estate building on West Wheelock Street, students used their cell phones to ask alumni to support the Undying slate of candidates.

Dartmouth Undying offered the students $100 to defray the phone costs, along with food and other refreshments, Beattie said. The money came from alumni donations to Dartmouth Undying and was specified for outreach use, Beattie explained.

E-mails sent by students to recruit others to help with the phoning effort, however, suggest that the $100 would be given as payment to anyone who participated.

"If you want to make an easy $100 bucks and do something good for the Dartmouth community you can join me in calling women Alumni ... to encourage them to vote for [the] Dartmouth Unity Ballot in the elections for the Association of Alumni Executive Committee," an e-mail to Delta Delta Delta sorority said.

A reporter from The Dartmouth present at the Monday telephone session confirmed that the payment would not be limited to cell phone reimbursement.

Beattie said students should use the money to cover their cell phone charges, but should also feel free "to enjoy the $100" in light of the Memorial Day holiday.

When the reporter, who did not identify herself, asked one student why she decided to make the phone calls, the student said, "Good deal, isn't it?"

The telephone script given to students at the session indicated that they should inform alumnae that the slate endorsed by Dartmouth Undying would end the Association's lawsuit against the College if elected.

"In the 239 year history of Dartmouth College, no official alumni organization has ever sued the college -- until now," the script read, continuing later, "Alumni of Dartmouth should not sue their alma mater. The parity slate vows to continue the lawsuit which is costing the College in excess of 2 million dollars."

Participants in Monday's telephone effort included Nell Beattie '09, Martha Beattie's daughter. Catherine Haldeman '08, daughter of Board of Trustees Chairman Ed Haldeman '70, reportedly planned to participate in Monday's calls, according to an e-mail sent to members of Kappa Kappa Gamma sorority.

Catherine Haldeman declined to comment for this story.

Dartmouth Undying has focused its campaigning on alumnae in the past as well.

In a May 1 e-mail to female graduates, several Undying members, including Martha Beattie and Kate Aiken '92, a member of the Association executive committee who is against the lawsuit, wrote that the current election is "about women" and their role at the College.

"We cannot allow our College to go backward," the e-mail states. "Dartmouth's women have too much at stake. Going backward insults our Dartmouth experience and our traditions. Going backwards devalues the contributions alumnae are making to Dartmouth today."

Over 16 percent of eligible alumni have voted online as of Monday, according to the College's Vox the Vote web site.