Around the League

The women's lacrosse team will try to spoil No. 11 Duke's NCAA tournament bid in its season finale in Hanover on Sunday.

The Dartmouth men's lacrosse team got its first big win of the season last Saturday against No. 14 Princeton in a tight 11-9 game in Hanover. The win puts the Big Green (6-7, 2-3 Ivy) one game behind the fourth-place University of Pennsylvania (5-7, 3-3 Ivy).

The Big Green looks to build on its momentum from the Princeton victory and end its season with a win over Harvard (6-7, 1-4 Ivy) in Cambridge, Mass., on Saturday, May 3.

No. 8 Cornell (10-3, 5-1 Ivy), after defeating No. 19 Brown (10-3, 4-1 Ivy) 11-7 in Ithaca, N.Y., wrapped up its Ivy League season. The win guaranteed the Big Red a share of the Ancient Eight championship. The other winner will be decided this weekend in the Princeton-Brown game. If Princeton wins, then the Tigers will secure the league's automatic NCAA berth, and if Brown wins, the berth will go to Cornell because of the head-to-head tiebreaker.

College lacrosse programs everywhere will be eager to find out the result of the Princeton-Brown game, which will have a definitive impact on the 16-team NCAA tournament draw.

In addition to Cornell, Penn and Yale (4-9, 0-6 Ivy) have both finished their Ivy League schedules.

Women's Lacrosse

The Dartmouth women's lacrosse team finished its Ivy League schedule this past weekend.

The Big Green (7-8, 3-4 Ivy) finished in fifth place. Dartmouth sits above Harvard (9-7, 2-5 Ivy), Brown (6-9, 2-5 Ivy) and Columbia (5-10, 0-7 Ivy).

Dartmouth's key upset of No. 6 Princeton (12-3, 5-2 Ivy), which is ranked second in the Ivy League, allowed the Big Green to move up to the No. 5 spot.

The Crimson and the Bears both lost this past weekend to cement Dartmouth's fifth-place finish.

No. 1 Penn (13-1, 7-0 Ivy) rests at the top spot in Ivy play, followed by Princeton and Cornell. Yale (11-5, 4-3 Ivy) remains one spot above the Big Green, fourth in the conference.

Dartmouth will play its last game of the season in a non-conference contest against No. 11 Duke on Scully-Fahey Field at 6 p.m. on Sunday, May 4.

Softball

The Princeton Tigers (23-22, 18-2 Ivy) will host the best-of-three Ivy League championship series this weekend against Harvard (24-20, 14-6 Ivy) at the 1895 Field in Princeton, N.J.

A doubleheader will be played on Saturday, May 3 and there will be a game three, if necessary, on Sunday, May 4.

The Tigers were tied with Cornell (40-10, 16-4 Ivy) for first place in the South Division heading into their double-header against the Big Red on Sunday. Princeton won the first game 12-11 and the second 6-5 to clinch the division.

Princeton's two narrow victories over Cornell clinched first place in the South Division of the Ivy League and home field advantage for the championship series.

Harvard's four-game series against the Big Green this past weekend came after its bid to the championship series had been solidified.

In the two previous contests between the Tigers and the Crimson this season, Princeton took both games by narrow margins, winning the first 5-4 and the second 3-2 in a doubleheader on Sunday, March 30.

The Big Green (13-25, 9-11 Ivy) finished in second place in the North Division, five games behind Harvard. Yale (20-25-1, 7-13 Ivy) and Brown (8-26, 3-17 Ivy) rounded out the division.

Rowing

This weekend, all three Dartmouth rowing programs will be in Hanover for their last race of the season before the all-important Eastern Sprints, which will be held in Worcester, Mass., on Sunday, May 18th

For the second week, the women's crew team found itself in sixth place in the Eastern Association of Women's Rowing Colleges coaches' poll.

The Dartmouth women will host No.11 Cornell on Saturday morning for the Parent's Cup.

The most recent coaches' poll found Yale remaining at the top, with Princeton jumping up to second after its victory in Hanover this past weekend. Brown, Radcliffe, and Northeastern round out the top five.

Meanwhile, after finding itself ranked No.16 in the Eastern Association of Rowing Colleges according to the most recent coaches' poll, the men's heavyweight crew team will be hosting second-ranked Wisconsin and MIT this weekend in the Cochrane Cup.

Dartmouth will be looking to bounce back after its loss to Brown, who held onto its top spot in the EARC ranking this week. Harvard, Princeton, and Columbia rounded out the top five of the coaches' poll this week.

The lightweight crew team had mixed results this past weekend, as Dartmouth fell to top-ranked Yale, but bounced back with a win over Columbia.

After this weekend's results, the Big Green remains in fifth place in the EARC poll, the same ranking as a week ago.

The lightweight crew team will welcome Cornell in the Baggaley Bowl. This will be an opportunity for Dartmouth to move up in the EARC standings, as Cornell currently occupies fourth place.

In this week's EARC poll, Yale remains on top, followed by Princeton and Navy. The race to watch for this week will be in Cambridge, Mass., where the Bulldogs take on the Crimson in the Goldthwait Cup and the Tigers in the Vogel Cup.

Rugby

The men's rugby team took home its 12th Ivy League championship last weekend, beating Harvard in the finals 41-0 Sunday at Columbia in New York City.

The title marks the Big Green's eighth Ivy crown in the last 11 years.

The outcome in the finals starkly contrasted the previous meeting between Dartmouth and Harvard, when the teams played to a 6-6 tie last fall.

In the Ivy tournament, second-seeded Dartmouth outscored its opponents 145-0, which included a 40-0 victory over Columbia in the opening round and a 62-0 rout of the University of Pennsylvania in the semifinals. Scrumhalf Gordon Silvera '08 was named the tournament's most valuable player.

The women's club finished sixth at the Ivy tournament on April 12 at Brown. Dartmouth, the No. 3 seed, suffered two overtime losses in the competition. The Big Green first fell to sixth-seed Cornell 13-10 in the opening round, then after a 36-0 win over Columbia, lost in a kickoff to Radcliffe in the fifth-place game.