Toe to Toe: Super Bowl Edition (Hodes)

The Giants will walk into University of Phoenix Stadium on Sunday as heavy underdogs, but don't think they can't pull off an upset.

In fact, don't be surprised if they do.

The Giants took the Patriots to the brink of defeat when the two teams met on December 29th. The Patriots narrowly escaped with their third three-point victory of the season.

Since that game, the Giants have grown immensely. More importantly, Eli Manning finally seems to have fully developed into a formidable force on the field, or at least he gives off the impression of being a competent NFL quarterback. To this writer, all signs point to another Manning trip to Disney World.

For the Giants to win, they'll need to be clicking on all cylinders because they do not win this game on paper. The Patriots are simply too talented, and if you play this game 10 times, the Pats would certainly win the majority of them. But this game won't be played 10 times -- all the Giants have to do is perform up to their fullest ability on Sunday night.

Three things will have to occur for the Giants to win.

First, the Giants will need to find a way to contain Tom Brady. Perhaps Brady will be more hobbled by his ankle injury than he has let on, but the Giants must expect that they'll be facing a healthy Brady. Osi Umenyiora and Michael Strahan will have to reach Brady early and often, no easy task when going up against the New England offensive line. If they are able to rattle Brady early, however, the '72 Dolphins' champagne might start popping before the game is even over.

Second, Brandon Jacobs must continue to be the man-child he is. The Giants' ability to control the ball and the clock will prove crucial. If they cannot, then look for the Patriots to have a field day.

Third, and most importantly, Eli Manning must avoid a regression to the Eli of old.

In all likelihood, the Giants are not going to be able to slow the Pats significantly, meaning Eli is going to have to match Brady blow for blow.

And if Eli steps up his game, well, then anything can happen. Let's hope we are treated to a true heavyweight matchup on Sunday. This game has the potential to be great.