Toe to Toe: Hodes versus Schmidley (Schmidley)

I will readily admit that throughout the 2007-2008 NFL season I have had decidedly mixed feelings on this week's column topic. For the fan outside of Patriot country, perceptions of this year's Pats have been mixed. Some fans love the boys from Foxborough; some utterly despise them. Some fans, such as me, find perceptions of the Patriots vacillating between rapt admiration and intense hatred. And, of course, there remains one other notable group of fans who have also found their state of football fandom altered by the Pats -- the "bandwagon" fans who have suddenly decided the Patriots are their new favorite team.

In light of these and other factors, what should the neutral football fan's opinion on a potential 19-0 Pats season be? Do we root for history, or for the underdog? Though it is difficult for me to concede, I not only believe the Pats deserve an unblemished 2007-2008 record, but that accomplishing such a feat would be beneficial for professional football. In order to better understand why this is true, it is best to first take a look at the reason why so many of us hate the Pats, and then explain why their excellence should trump all these reason's in our collective "fan conscience" when forming an opinion on the issue.

First and foremost on my list of Patriot qualms is the media image the organization projects. All personnel, and in particular the players, are trained to avoid making unnecessarily incendiary comments in interviews -- the motivation being to not give their opponents extra fuel. After years of observing this contrived moderation, I am at a loss for an explanation as to how it can still be heralded as an effective strategy. Is the smugness with which many of the players, most notably Rodney Harrison, deliver their interview comments not enough to motivate teams in the opposite direction?

Considering all the Monday morning quarterbacks' reasons to hate the Pats, why should their excellence justify rooting for their perfect season? Truth is, the Pats' play this season has established them as one of the most talented squads to grace the NFL gridiron, regardless of how they fare in next weekend's AFC championship game. The bottom line is that when the Pats are at the top of their game, no team remaining in the playoffs has a shot to beat them. Brady's masterful 26-for-28 performance on Saturday night epitomized the Patriot superiority to which football fans have become accustomed. Given the consistency of the team's dominance this season, a New England loss will raise more questions about the Pats' failure to play up to its potential than it will about the other team playing exceptionally well. In the midst of most seasons' playoff action, such a claim would seem ludicrous. When the Colts bested the Pats in the 2007 AFC Championship game, no one questioned the Colts standing as a superior team to Brady&Co.

This season is different. It almost seems as though a Patriot loss would rob them of their rightful place in history as one of the best and most dominant teams of all time. At this point, I do not think we have to worry about that happening. We may as well just sit back and enjoy the Patriot show, because it does not seem like there should be any suspense surrounding the ending.