Toe to Toe: Hodes versus Schmidley (Hodes)

The Patriots won for the umpteenth consecutive week on Saturday, equaling the mark set by the 1972 Dolphins. In the past six months, it seems as though everything has been breaking Boston's way. The Red Sox won the World Series, the Celtics became an immediate title contender and the Patriots seem well on their way to that magical 19-0 season. I am pretty sure this is what people mean when they talk about hell freezing over.

It is not that I am not interested in seeing a 19-0 season. Quite the contrary, as I think such an accomplishment would rank as one of the greatest sports stories of all-time. But does it have to be this team? I do not feel a special affinity for the '72 Dolphins -- they were a great team, sure -- but seeing another team achieve perfection would not diminish their accomplishment, despite the way some of those Dolphins act from time to time. So why don't I want to see the Patriots run the table? Where do I begin....

I am beginning to feel like the great Sam Jackson. Enough is enough, I have had it with these snakes. Of course, by snakes, I mean Bill Belichick. When he spurned the Jets for New England in 2000, it was enough to make me loathe the man. But it was not enough for Belichick. When he became embroiled in the whole 'spygate' controversy, it was the last straw. Still, I would not want to inflate Belichick's ego too much -- he is far from the only reason I do not want to see New England go undefeated.

If the Patriots pull this off, I think that Boston might bring unbearable to new heights. As I have already discussed, too much has gone Boston's way in recent months. It is about time the universe corrected itself and brought Boston down a notch or two. I do not even care to see Boston fans suffer, I just do not want to deal with them anymore. The best part about being two terms away from graduation is the chance to escape the obnoxious Boston sports fan. And if the Pats win their next two games, well, graduation could not come soon enough.

Now, I know I am starting to seem like a really spiteful person. Don't worry, I am not always this negative. Sure, I am down on the Red Sox, the Celtics and the Patriots. Sure, Boston fans annoy me more than snow melting in January. And sure, Bill Belichick makes the taste of vomit seem pleasant. But I also have a very legitimate reason why I do not want Boston perfection to come to fruition.

What could be a better story than the Patriots going undefeated? Yep, you guessed it: Brett Favre making a trip to Disney World on his way to retirement. Did you see Saturday's Snow Bowl? How could anyone not want to see the ageless wonder leave the way of Elway following that fantastic game. Here is a man that, after overcoming so much in his personal life and seemingly on the downswing professionally, came back with one of the greatest seasons of his great career. And it is not just Favre. Unlike the Patriots, the Packers are a truly likeable team. They are young, they have fun and Green Bay is the anti-Boston. I cannot imagine any better way to reverse the freezing of hell than to bring the Lombardi Trophy home to Wisconsin's frozen tundra. I could ramble on with reasons why I do not want to see the Patriots win, but I will leave it at this: I do not care much for Patriots' perfection because I would like to see the Packers give Favre the perfect end to his illustrious career.