Around The League

Men's hockey

Dartmouth men's hockey (8-8-1, 3-7-1 ECAC) improved its overall record with two impressive wins against nationally-ranked Hockey East teams this week, but dropped to 11th place in the ECAC.

The Big Green squad enters this weekend's competitions riding high on its second winning streak of the year. On Saturday, the team will face Harvard (6-9-3, 5-6-2 ECAC), which is currently on a dismal 10-game stretch; the team is winless since it defeated Dartmouth on Dec. 1. The Crimson is looking to break its three-way tie for fourth in the ECAC this weekend.

Clarkson (13-7-2, 8-3-1 ECAC)rebounded from its loss to Dartmouth last week, bouncing back to the No. 1 slot in the ECAC and improving its national ranking to No. 10.

Now at the halfway point in its conference schedule, the Big Green has 11 more conference games this season. The team looks to ride the momentum of recent play to improve its dismal ECAC standings.

Women's hockey

Dartmouth women's ice hockey (11-6-3, 8-4-1 ECAC) enters the weekend ranked ninth nationally and third in the ECAC. Leading the league is rival Harvard (16-1-0, 13-0-0 ECAC), which the Big Green will play on Sunday. Harvard remains undefeated in conference play this season and has all but locked first place in the ECAC. Sunday's game is nonetheless important for playoff rankings as Dartmouth chases second place Saint Lawrence (17-7-0, 10-2-0 ECAC).

Harvard will be the last true test for the Big Green before the team wraps up the last month of the regular season with a very favorable schedule. After facing the Crimson, Dartmouth will play eight more teams, seven of which the Big Green has already defeated this season.

Women's basketball

Despite a tough overtime loss to Virginia Tech last Sunday, which wrapped up non-conference play, the Dartmouth women's basketball team (4-11, 1-0 Ivy) is still in prime position to win the Ivy League title. The Big Green currently has one win in the Ivy League along with overall league leaders Cornell (9-5, 1-0 Ivy), Princeton (4-13, 1-0 Ivy) and Yale (3-11, 1-0 Ivy).

Harvard (7-8, 0-1 Ivy) comes to Dartmouth this Saturday, hoping to avenge the 52-47 loss it suffered to the Big Green earlier this season. The Crimson is looking to get back on track and defend last year's Ivy title. After facing Harvard, the Big Green will face four Ancient Eight opponents at home before hitting the road, making this weekend the crucial moment for Dartmouth to hit its stride.

Skiing

The Dartmouth ski team won its second straight EISA carnival this weekend at Saint Lawrence University. This was the second in a series of five EISA carnivals leading up to the EISA and NCAA championships. The Big Green took the carnival with a total of 587 points, 32 points ahead of Middlebury. Ida Sargent '11 continued her strong run, winning the 15k Classic Race. She was followed by her sister, team captain Elsa Sargent '08. In the men's 20k Classic Race, Dakota Blackhorse-Von Jess '09 and Glenn Randall '09 brought home second and third place finishes, respectively. The carnival victory extends Dartmouth's nine-carnival winning streak, which dates back to last season.

Men's squash

The No. 7 Big Green men's squash team (9-3, 0-2 Ivy) rallied after a difficult weekend to beat No. 5 Williams (5-7) 7-2. Despite the team's national ranking, it remains in sixth place out of seven in the Ivy League after an 0-2 start in the Ancient Eight. Dartmouth aims to score its first conference win this weekend, when it faces No. 8 Cornell (3-5, 2-3 Ivy) .

No. 4 Yale (8-0, 5-0 Ivy) beat Cornell by a score of 8-1, and Cornell shut out Brown (0-5, 0-4 Ivy) 9-0.

Outside of the conference, No. 9 Penn (4-3, 1-2 Ivy) prevailed over Williams with a final score of 6-3. After beating the Big Green on Saturday, No. 1 Trinity (8-0)continued its undefeated streak, crushing No. 4 Yale and No. 12 Bates (3-3) in a double shutout of 9-0.

Women's squash

The No. 8 Dartmouth women's squash team (7-4, 0-2 Ivy) beat No. 7 Williams (6-7) in a close 5-4 match on Wednesday. The Big Green swept spots six through nine and also found a crucial win at the four spot to edge Williams out of the win.

In conference play, No. 10 Cornell (2-5, 7-5 Ivy) had a disappointing week, losing to No. 9 Brown (1-4, 1-3 Ivy) with a game score of 6-3, and No. 4 Yale (8-1, 2-1 Ivy) with a score of 9-0.

The squad hopes to improve its record in the Ivy League when it faces Cornell this Saturday.

Men's Swimming

This past weekend, the Dartmouth men's swimming and diving team (1-8, 0-6 EISL) suffered losses against Yale (5-1, 4-1 EISL) and Penn (5-4, 2-4 EISL) by the scores of 244-55 and 208-87, respectively. The loss keeps the Big Green in the cellar of the Ivy League alongside Columbia (3-3, 0-3 EISL).

Harvard (4-0, 4-0 EISL), Princeton (3-0, 2-0 EISL) and Brown (3-0, 2-0 EISL) currently sit atop the conference standings with unblemished records.

Either Brown or Harvard will fall from the ranks of the undefeated when the Bears take on the Crimson at Harvard this weekend.

The Big Green will face Princeton (3-0, 2-0 EISL) this Sunday. The Tigers, winners of the past two EISL crowns, are heavily favored in the match-up.

Women's Swimming

The Big Green women's swimming and diving team (2-7, 0-5 EISL) was unable to pull off an upset last weekend when the squad fell to Yale (5-1, 3-1 Ivy) and the Penn (6-4, 3-4 Ivy) in New Haven, Conn.

The losses leave the Big Green the only team in the Ancient Eight with a winless conference record, while Harvard (4-0, 4-0 EISL) and Princeton (3-0, 2-0 EISL) are the teams to beat in the conference.

The Big Green will host the Tigers and the University of New Hampshire (5-2, 2-1 America East) this Sunday.

Both the Tigers and the Wildcats should prove to be stiff tests for Dartmouth.

Men's and women's Track and Field

The Big Green men's track and field team enters the weekend coming off of a contest against Yale and Columbia on Jan. 19. They finished second, losing to Yale and defeating Columbia in a home meet.

Dartmouth's women's track and field squad enters the upcoming weekend on a high note. After defeating Yale and Columbia in a thrilling track meet last Saturday.

Both teams will travel to Boston University for the Terrier Classic this weekend. Dartmouth will compete against 50 other track and field programs, including teams from Stanford, Duke and other major conference schools.

Sunday's meet is an opportunity to see how the squads compete against a higher level of competition than the teams have faced in their past two meets.

The Terrier Classic is a critical test at this stage in the season for the Big Green as the teams prepare for the remainder of the season and the Heptagonal championship event.

After this meet, the team will return to compete in the Dartmouth Classic on Saturday, Feb. 2.