Graduate from DDS

The term is finally winding down and for a good quarter of the campus's population, each dwindling day brings the bittersweet possibility of last chances. While some may prefer to savor the final Fried Chicken Monday at Food Court, we at the Dish encourage perhaps tastier tributes to the Upper Valley at large.

We've compiled a list of quality kitchens on both sides of the river to encourage those with time on their hands and a desire for quality conversation to strike off some of the more pleasant things on the spring checklist we've compiled over the last several months. For your convenience, these restaurants are some of our favorites, in order of proximity to campus. Enjoy!

Allechante: Norwich and Woodstock, Vt., $$

A mile and a half west of campus, Allechante Bakery puts forth a palatable midday menu. Allechante's nine sandwich varieties are simple yet refined combinations of serious spreads, meats, cheeses and fresh vegetables. Our main complaint lies in the sandwiches' less-than-mighty masses -- we would hope that $6.75 might garner more than a handful of hearty bites. However, any of our misgivings were silenced by their dessert selection, and Allechante's airy pastries provide the perfect end to a light lunch

Yama: Lebanon, N.H., $$

Yama puts Soonja to shame, running the gamut of Korean and Japanese delights. Try house specialty sushi rolls, noodle dishes and classic Korean barbeque, all under one roof. Pop in for one last chat with Food Court Larry -- this off-campus staple is one of his favorites! Yama is open for both lunch and dinner Tuesday through Sunday.

Gusanoz: Lebanon, N.H., $

This south-of-the-border find is just south of Hanover and features a relaxed atmosphere with authentic grub, easygoing service and an even easier-to-stomach price tag. The whole meal (for three) did not set us back more than $35 with almost all entrees under $10. Bring your ID for cheap beers and a hearty appetite for the quality appetizers.

Big Fatty's: Hartford, Vt., $

Big Fatty's serves up southern barbecue in cost-worthy portions. Flavorful sides may momentarily steal your attention, but the real draw here is the carefully cooked meat. Big Fatty's is a great place to bring friends, leave with leftovers, and simply enjoy being carnivore.

Tip Top Cafe: White River Junction, Vt. $$

We love Tip Top's small but sturdy menu and casual, funky atmosphere. Prices did not stray far from the moderate range, and entrees averaged around $15. Try the well-presented and quickly devoured French fries with aioli for a social starter. Tip Top is available for both lunch and dinner and either way, be sure to save room for dessert!

Como Va: White River Junction, Vt., $$

An upscale Italian restaurant by night, Como Va's real cache is its weekend lunch and brunch menu. In addition to a diverse spread of breakfast treats, fresh salads, soups and sandwiches, the restaurant boasts seasonal house specialties, including both sweet and savory crepes. This eclectic brunch is offered every weekend from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. just minutes away in White River Junction. Skip the specials, but a taste of their delectable crepes and imaginative omelettes is well worth the splurge.

The Farmer's Diner: Queechee, Vt., $

The endearing, local food Farmer's Diner in Quechee Vermont's "short order revolution" is sure to satisfy. Fresh weekly specials, a crowd-pleasing menu that's vegan, vegetarian and carnivore-friendly combined with a knowledgeable waitstaff in a sleek but cozy atmosphere. All make other local diners look hopelessly drab in comparison.

Skunk Hollow Tavern, Hartland, Vt.: $$

One meal at the Skunk Hollow Tavern and you will wish that you could be a regular; we certainly do! A combination of excellent service, original food and creative atmosphere make the Tavern well worth the trip. Appetizers here are so good, they should be required -- try the daily special stuffed button mushrooms or soup. This perfect seasonal escape is open Wednesday through Sunday.

Eaton's Sugarhouse: Bethel, Vt., $

Eaton's Sugarhouse is well-worth the short, scenic drive up I-89. The self-proclaimed "Hope you're hungry" portions will help you start the day off right. Pancakes here are far more than a canvas for syrup, but with such good maple fixings without the usual extra fee, feel free to pour away!