FNR opens Spring term with a Bang -- Bang Camaro

Bang Camaro will bring its '80s rock style to FUEL tomorrow night. Indie band Red Wire Black Wire will open for the heavy metal army.

The '80s metal pop band has somewhere between 14 and 20 lead singers -- depending on who you ask -- and a few additional members who just play instruments. The whole gang will play Friday Night Rock's first spring show on Friday.

Hailing from Boston, the self-described "'80s hair band" is poised to blow up the mainstream music scene with its high-energy, head-bangingly awesome tunes. The show tomorrow promises to entertain the FUEL crowd -- which will be somewhat more limited than usual, since the band alone occupies one-fourth of FUEL's maximum capacity.

Packed into the tiny FUEL venue in the basement of the Collis Center, the army that is Bang Camaro should produce an unprecedented, energetic performance, even by FNR standards. Insiders warn that the band likely will not fit onto the stage. For onlookers who get confused, members of Bang Camaro should be decipherable by their gravity-defying hairstyles.

When asked what kind of audience would like Bang Camaro, FNR's booking manager Don Stewart '06 said, "If you were to draw a Venn diagram and make one grouping 'Party' and the other ''80s Metal,' they would only partially intersect, but both would be located entirely within a larger grouping called 'Bang Camaro.'"

The band just released a full-length, self-titled debut album, but its most popular single was recently featured on the Playstation 2 video game Guitar Hero II. "(Push Push) Lady Lightning" was also released as a separate single. The band doesn't ever sing verses -- the songs consist of only loud choruses and sweet guitar solos.

Bang Camaro's current tour has been sold out at every venue it has played, and the band prides itself on a bombastic stage presence. One show got so out of hand that cops had to shut down the venue, and the building was condemned a short time later.

Regardless of the audience size, Bang Camaro promises to put on a crazy party for FNR's first show of the term. Indie darlings Red Wire Black Wire will open for the rockers.

On the road from Middletown, Conn., Red Wire Black Wire sounds like a hybrid of the Postal Service and the Magnetic Fields. The band employs all sorts of non-standard rock instruments; one member alone plays both cello and tambourine.

The show should kick off an exciting Spring term for FNR -- in the coming weeks, four more shows are already planned. Next Friday, campus band Filligar will perform, and Charlene, Girl Talk and Night Cat also have shows scheduled for the term.

In the words of FNR publicity manager Aimee Pritchard '08, "It's the first Friday of Spring term after half of everyone's friends have been off. Who wouldn't want to start out their night with a high-energy rock show?"

FUEL's doors will open at 9:30 p.m., and Red Wire Black Wire will take the stage at 10:00 p.m. Admission is free, as is beer with a valid ID.