Edwards was empty

In his speech here Wednesday ("Edwards sketches 2008 platform," Feb. 1), presidential candidate John Edwards was very vague and, with exceptions for poverty and climate change, offered little real substance.

Edwards did a great job explaining the problem in Darfur, but didn't tell us how he'd actually stop the genocide. He said we need to stop enabling Iraq, but didn't tell us what that would take, beyond talking to Syria.

This was just like his campaign kick-off in New Orleans' Lower Ninth Ward. Thank you, senator, for highlighting vital but ignored Gulf Coast issues -- now would you please tell us what you'll do to fix the Road Home Program and the FEMA housing mess?

(Unfortunately, Edwards only mentioned New Orleans in passing Wednesday, which I found very disappointing, especially coming from him.)

I am thrilled Edwards is out there pushing issues like New Orleans, poverty and perceptions of the United States abroad. They must become a part of our national dialogue. But merely talking about the right things isn't enough to qualify you for the Presidency. John Edwards would make an excellent secretary of housing and urban development, but I cannot bring myself to vote for him in the New Hampshire primary for president.