'Plena Libre' heats up the Hop with Afro-Latin rhythm

The Afro-Latin music group
The Afro-Latin music group

Look no further than Spaulding Auditorium for that island daydream: congas, pianos, trombones, timbales, hand drums and thirteen wildly talented musicians will be gathered together as the Afro-Rican group Plena Libre introduces Hanover to a groundbreaking take on the celebrated Puerto Rican musical tradition known as "plena." "Plena Libre" will be performing at the Hopkins Center Saturday night at 7 p.m.

The distinguished "plena ambassadors," as they are called in Puerto Rico, have been gaining momentum since their inception over a decade ago under the musical leadership of Gary Nunez, releasing nearly a dozen CDs and earning four Grammy nominations in the process, most recently for 2006's "Evolucion."

As the name "Plena Libre" implies, the group has found considerable success with its liberated take on the century-old "plena" Puerto Rican musical tradition. Building on the three "panderos" -- handheld drums that play interlocking rhythms -- consistent with the folkloric "plena" style, Plena Libre has added the sounds of trombone, baritone saxophone, flute, vibraphone, accordion and classical and electrical guitars to create a fusion of rich and vibrant sounds.

In addition to "plena," the group cites the significance of "bomba" in their work. An African tradition brought to Puerto Rico by slaves, "bomba" incorporates over 30 rhythms played on barrel-like drums called "barriles." Add to "plena" and "bomba" the rhythms associated with African beats, Latin jazz and Brazilian "samba," and a fusion of world music emerges -- a sound that goes far beyond the designation of "Best Tropical Traditional Album," the Grammy for which Plena Libre was most recently nominated.

With countless awards from their home country, the success of Plena Libre is largely attributed to the groundbreaking nature of their sound. Bucking the trendy Latin commercial music scene and choosing instead to lean toward ballads and salsa, Plena Libre has found success with their worldly and experimental interpretation of a renowned Puerto Rican oral tradition. With their latest tour, Plena Libre hopes to enlighten the U.S. with their fusion of sounds as well.

The Boston Globe has taken notice, calling their music "a mad weave of polyrhythms that simply sizzle[s]," while The New York Daily News claims that "Plena Libre has given a new era to this wonderful rhythm plena."

If the positive buzz and multiple Grammy nominations are not enough to lure you in, come to escape the icy tundra of the Upper Valley, if only for a few hours. The rhythmic beats of Plena Libre are sure to at least fill you with a dose of that warm island air.